Friday 29 March 2013

Curry Leaf and Jeera Pulao



Have I told you before that Curry leaf is my favourite herb? Ofcourse I would have. I just cannot get enough of it. So much so that, I have assigned my husband a new job. Just outside where he gets out of the station, there is an Indian shop. Friends have been telling me that the shop stocks a lot of fresh Indian vegetables. So every Monday, my husband picks up a bunch of fresh curry leaves from that shop. I would not have been happier if every Monday he picked up a bunch of roses.

While we were at the whole shopping at the Indian shop, my husband also wanted to pick up an Indian vegetable as well. So I have set aside a day of the week (Tuesday) to make what he brings home. Its quite nice to just get a random vegetable to cook with.. No need to plan at least for one day of the week.

I have realized that it is little things that make you happy... You don't need anything fancy to cheer up.

Ingredients

Rice 2 cups
Onions 1 sliced
Curry leaves 1/2 cup
Urad dal 1 tbsp
Pepper 1/2 tsp
Jeera/Cumin 2 tsp
Garlic 2 pods
Oil and Salt to taste

Method of Preparation

1. Pressure cook rice with enough water.

2. Heat a little oil in a pan. Add urad dal and roast till it starts to brown.

3. Add pepper and curry leaf. Switch off. Saute till the curry leaf wilts.

4. Add to a mixie and powder.

5. Heat oil in a pan. Add cumin. Let it sizzle.

6. Add sliced onions and garlic. Saute till it is browned.

7. Add the powdered curry leaf mix and salt. Switch off.

8. Add the cooked rice and mix well.

7 comments:

  1. What a flavorful rice. Curry leaves is one the healthiest herb to have it, adding like this to the rice is really good way to intake more curry leaves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. healthy rice..looks yummy..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Flavourful,simple and healthy rice.nice recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Roshni,

    I tried this recipe. It turned out to be wonderful. Please have a look at http://endekushini.blogspot.in/2013/05/curry-leaves-and-jeera-pulav.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for trying the recipe. glad you liked it!

      Delete