Monday 11 March 2013

Red Chilli Chutney - Onion Chilli Chutney

AGC are making Spreads this week. To be honest, I was in a big fix. Any place online Spreads and Dips are categorized together. And if you look in, it will mostly be dips. :-) The first thing that comes to my mind when I think about Spread is Hummus. I have already posted it here. Other one in my list is Baba Ganoush. That did not work out this time..

Reason being, I saw this recipe here and was instantly attracted. The fiery red colour indicated that it was spicy enough for me :-) Remember that it is a fiery chutney. Use sparingly. Be sure to make some other chutneys for your little ones (and the not so bold older ones too). They will not be able to eat this.

You can decrease the quantity of chillies and increase shallots to make a not so spicy 'onion chutney' as well.

We enjoyed this with some soft home made rolls and also with dosa. Divine!!


Ingredients

Dry Red Chillies 20
Shallots (cheru ulli, chinna vengayam) 1.5 cups
Garlic 1 pod
Tamarind 1/2 tsp
Hing a little
Salt to taste
Oil

Method of Preparation

1. Peal and chop the shallots and garlic.

2. Heat oil in a pan. Add the chopped shallots and garlic. Saute till it starts to brown.

3. Add red chillies and saute for a couple more minutes till the chillies are roasted.

4. Transfer to a mixie and let it cool. Add tamarind, hing and salt.

5. Grind into a smooth paste without adding any water.







Check out the other AGC thoughout this week 
AnushaJayanthiKavithaPriya MRadhikaVeenaPriya S

14 comments:

  1. yummy chutney.my all time fav:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. fiery bold is something I love to devour- this one's right up my alley rosh :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this fiery chutney looks superb

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hot and fiery chutney, prefect side dish for crispy dosas.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hot n spicy chutney, perfect with ildy n dosas....too good!

    ReplyDelete
  6. looks very hot and spicy too..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gosh..what a lip smacking chutney!! I just loooved the spicy colour!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow I love onion as well as chutney now this one is interesting with both :)
    yummmmmm

    ReplyDelete
  9. I make this chutney quite often and I'm devouring at the color of your chutney. Truly tempting!Jayanthi(www.sizzlingveggies.com)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely chutney.I likes ur version ..Super taste
    www.shobasdelight.blogspot.in

    ReplyDelete