Friday 28 February 2014

Milagu Kozhambu - Pepper Kozhambu - Spicy Black Pepper Sauce for Rice

I have been trying to make a proper South Indian (read tamil) lunch on Sundays lately. Given a choice my husband would request for Sambar with Potato fry every week. And my son would want Rasam with Vendakka Fry. After going thru weeks of doing this, I decided it is time to change. Now I have convinced them that I will try something else for a change. I run it by them a few days before so that I can buy the ingredients.



When I spotted my friend Radhika prepare this recipe, I knew I will try it. My little one tried a spoon ful of this and said he does want the rasam (made specifically for him). He wanted Kozhambu please. And he enjoyed it!

Try this simple Kozhambu/Gravy and let me know what you think.


Recipe adapted from here
Ingredients (Makes 1.5 cups of Kozhambu)

Black pepper 2 tsp
Tamarind Paste 1 tsp
Red Chilli 4
Urad Dal 1 tsp
Channa Dal 1 tsp
Coriander Seeds 3 tsp
Cumin Seeds 1 tsp
Curry leaves few

Mustard 1/2 tsp
Hing a pinch
Turmeric Powder 1/2 tsp
Jaggery 1/2 tsp (use brown sugar if you do not have jaggery)
Sesame oil 2 tbsp (use any oil if you do not have sesame oil)
Salt to taste

Method of Preparation

1. Heat a little oil in a pan. Add the channa dal and urad dal. Roast till it starts to brown.

2. Add the coriander seeds, pepper, cumin seeds, red chilli and saute till that is also roasted (a min or 2).

3. Switch off and finally add the curry leaves.

4. Let this mix cool and then make a paste with a little water and tamarind paste.

5. Heat oil in the same pan. Add the mustard seeds. When it sputters, add the hing, turmeric powder.

6. When it sizzles, add the spice paste and more water. I added 2 cups of water including the water I used for making the paste.

7. Let this simmer for a few minutes. Stir inbetween to prevent the sauce from sticking to the base of the pan.

8. Towards the end, add the jaggery.

Serve with some rice and side of vegetables. 

5 comments:

  1. A perfect, tasty kuzhambu. Lovely

    On-going event: South Indian cooking

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks so healthy and must be so good with hot rice...

    ReplyDelete
  3. G'day! This look very YUM and is now on my list to try too! Thank you!
    Cheers! Joanne
    http://whatsonthelist.net

    ReplyDelete
  4. A new recipe for me looks tasty n spicy
    happy to fo;;ow you
    plz visit my space www.remyasea.blogspot.inn

    ReplyDelete
  5. thank you very much for the shout out Rosh and hope you liked it as well.

    ReplyDelete