Wednesday 19 February 2014

African Sweet Potato and Peanut Butter Stew - Vegan



Do you have days when you want to make a dish and it kind of never happens? This is one such dish for me. I have been planning to make this for quite some time now. And even bought sweet potatoes a couple of times. Each time it was turned into some other dish (tasty, but not this dish).

The finally I got a chance to make it. To be honest, I am not sure how authentic it is! Cause I have never been to Africa or eaten in many African restaurants. The only cuisine I know is Ethiopian. Oh Wow, that is some food. Well, that is a discussion for another day.

When I was making this I added in most of the ingredients and tasted it real quick. I was not sure I wanted to eat it. Having dumped all the ingredients and it being 30 min away from dinner time, I decided to let it cook. Boy am I glad I did! It is one tasty stew. We all kept going for seconds and thirds. It was delish. Do try it and let me know what you think.



Adapted from here
Ingredients

Sweet Potato 2 Big ones (3 cups chopped)
Onions 2
Garlic 4 finely chopped
Red Peppers 2
Diced tomatoes 1 can
Peanut Butter 1/2 cup
Cumin Powder 1 tsp
Cinnamon Powder 1/4 tsp
Chilli Powder 1.5 tsp
Water or Stock 4 cups
Ginger 1 " piece

Oil and Salt to taste

Method of Preparation

1. Heat a little oil in a pot. Add finely chopped onions and garlic. Saute till it starts to brown.

2. Add chopped red pepper and saute till it starts to cook.

3. Add chilli powder, cumin powder and cinnamon powder. Mix well.

4. Add the peanut butter and give it a stir.

5. Peal and chop the sweet potatoes. Add it to the pot along with tomatoes (fresh or canned), ginger and water (or stock).

6. Mix well. Bring to a boil and simmer till the sweet potatoes are cooked.

Serve as a Stew with some bread or it works great with some rice or couscous. You can even serve it as a side dish for your Roti/Naan

6 comments:

  1. Variety cuisine!! A must try

    ReplyDelete
  2. Peanut butter in a stew. that's the first time im hearing this. looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. sounds interesting- peanut butter in a stew! looks hearty enough for me to down it all

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hoping to see some post from you:) Looks yummy and perfect for cold weather...will give a try. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete