Thursday 13 February 2014

Vegan Black Bean and Vegetable Soup


Soups are just the thing for a cold winter day. A bowl of warm soup, some bread and a book to cozy up with. This soup is very precious to me. Want to know why?

Well, you might think it is funny. It is cause of the black beans. When we lived in US, I used to get black beans when ever I needed it for Soups, Mexican food, Burgers etc. Here in the UK, I found out the hard way that you do not get Black beans at all. Yep, you heard me right. So where did I get this one from?

Well when my brother visited me during Christmas from US, I gave him a little shopping list. That list did not contain things like bags, shoes etc. It was a grocery list :-) A few different things that I do not get here. I have 6 cans of black beans. Now each one has to go into something special. This is the special made from Can No. 1.

Ingredients

Black Beans 1 can
Onions 2 small (1 medium)
Potato 2
Carrots 2
Celery 3 sticks

Cumin Powder 1/2 tsp
Chilli Powder 1/2 tsp
Turmeric Powder 1/2 tsp
Garlic Powder 1/4 tsp

Oil and Salt to taste

Method of Preparation

1. Heat a little oil in a pot. Add chopped onions and saute for a couple of minutes.

2. Peal and chop potatoes and carrots. Add to the pot.

3. Add celery chopped.

4. Saute till it starts to cook and then add a couple of cups of water and cook in a medium flame till it is nearly cooked.

5. Drain and wash the black beans. Add to the pot along with cumin powder, chilli powder, turmeric powder and garlic powder. Mix well.

6. Take a cup of this mix and puree it.

7. Add it back to the pot with 2-3 cups of water or as required. You can also use stock here.

8. Simmer for a few minutes. Serve with a bread of your choice.

If you need thicker soup, puree more of the soup. 

2 comments: