Tuesday 25 September 2012

Rajma Palak

Every time I write a blog post I go blah blah blah... Sometimes I totally run out of ideas. Still I compulsively go blah blah blah... Those who know me know how much I like to talk. Ok is it just me? I think it is how women are wired. We just love to talk. So you can't blame me, can you?

You might have read the post my husband wrote while I was in India. His theory is that every recipe is the same at the end of the day. This one is something he regularly asks. Not sure why he likes it so much... But here you go...



Ingredients

Rajma 1 cup
Spinach 250 gm ( I used baby spinach, a small bag)
Onions 2
Tomatoes 3
Milk 1 cup
Rajma Masala 3 tsp
Cumin 1 tsp
Ginger 1 inch piece
Garlic 4 pods

You can also add cinnamon, bayleaf, star anise, clove etc... I skipped this time. But usually add it.

Oil and Salt to taste

Method of Preparation

1. Soak Rajma overnight. Pressure cook with enough water. Drain (keep the water) and keep aside.

2. Heat oil in a pan. Add cumin (cinnamon, bayleaf, star anise, clove if using). When it sizzles, add onions. Saute till it starts to brown.

3. Make a paste of ginger and garlic. Add to pan. Saute for a couple more minutes.

4. Finely chop the tomatoes. Add to pan. Cook till the tomatoes are well cooked and the mix forms a nice paste.

5. Chop spinach and add to pan. Mix and cook for a few minutes. It will wilt very quickly.

6. Add Rajma Masala and salt. Simmer for a couple of minutes.

7. Add the cooked Rajma and milk. Add the reserved water as needed.

8. Bring to a boil. Simmer till the sauce thickens.

Serve with warm rotis

Linking this to Show me your hits - event by Sangee, hosted by Kaveri
Linking this to Lets Cook - Lentils and Legumes Event by Radhika

6 comments: