Sunday 1 July 2012

Eggplant Parmesan Sub

Eggplant sub is something my husband and I are addicted to. When we lived in US, there was a pasta/sandwich shop 2 minutes walk from home. Whenever we were late from work and wanted to get a quick eat, we would just grab an eggplant sub from that shop. It was so cheap and so tasty. Since we moved to UK, we have not eaten that sub.

Last weekend my husband was telling me how much he missed it. I realized I miss it too.. Time to put on the cooking hat and make our family favourite... In Memory of Cafe Angelinos in Waltham



The recipe has 4 parts. Grilled Eggplant, Tomato Sauce, Bread and Putting together the sandwich. You can of course use store bought sauce and bread. That simplifies the cooking process and time.

Another variation is to serve the grilled eggplant and sauce on a bed of pasta. That is called Eggplant Parmegiana. Served with a side of bread and salad. That is recipe for another day.

Grilled Eggplant

I did not want to use egg. So I made a wash with maida and water instead of egg. You could use a egg wash if you prefer.

Ingredients
Eggplant/Aubergine/Brinjal 1.5
Bread crumbs 3/4 cup
Maida/All purpose flour 8 tsp
Water 6 tbsp
Oil and Salt as needed

Method of preparation

1. Slice the eggplant into round slices. Do not make it too thick or too thin. I made around 12 slices. Each 6 inch sub would use 2-3 slices.

2. Mix the maida and water and keep in a plate.

3. Put the bread crumbs in a plate.

4. Dip the eggplant in maida batter and then in breadcrumbs and arrange in plate.



5. Heat oil in a pan. Place the coated eggplants in it and cook on both sides. Cook it in medium flame. You can cover it for a little bit to make sure that the eggplant is fully cooked. You can also bake the eggplant in the oven

All Ready to go into the sub



Tomato Sauce

I made the tomato sauce similar to the pasta sauce that I made the other day. I skipped garlic and went low on the dried herbs and oil. Check that recipe here.



Ingredients

Tomatoes 8
Dried herbs 1 tsp
Oil 1 tbsp
Basil 20
Salt to taste
Pepper 1/4 tsp

Method of Preparation

1. Preheat the oven to 175C.

2. Cut the tomatoes into 2. Keep the cut side facing up on a pan.

3. Mix the dried herbs and oil. Brush on the top of the tomatoes.

4. Bake in the oven for 1 hour.

5. Remove and peal the skin.

6. Transfer to a pan. Break it with the spatula.

7. Add the basil leaves, some salt and pepper. Mix well.

Putting Together



I made 6 inch subs. I could make 6 with the above quantity

Baugette 3
Parmesan Cheese as required. I used around 1/2 cup
Basil Leaves few

Method of Preparation

1. I bought half cooked baguettes from the store. Baked them in the oven for 10 minutes @ 220C. Cut them into 6 6" pieces. Slice open each piece. Do not cut all the way thru.

2. Place the eggplant slices into each. My baguettes were thin and eggplant slightly big. So I sliced the eggplant into 2 before stuffing.

3. Top with sauce and cheese. You can stick this into the over to melt the cheese. I just microwaved this for 40 sec to melt the cheese. I added very little cheese. Go heavy on it if you like.

4. Top with Basil leaves and serve.



Linking this to Walk thru Memory Lane - Gayathri's event hosted by Kalyani
Linking this to Healthy Food - Sandwiches - Priya's event hosted by Kalyani
Linking this to EP - Herbs and spices - Basil and Cardamom Event by Julie, hosted by Prathibha
Linking this to Celebrate - Olympic games Event by Jagruti, hosted by Priya

Linking this to Black and White Wednesday





I got an award for my Eggplant Sub from Prathibha in EP - Herbs and Spices - Basil and Cardamom event. Thanks Prathibha and Julie. I totally loved making the dishes for your event. Do check out some amazing dishes in the round up she has published.



16 comments:

  1. wow...fantastic recipe and presentation too Roshini

    ReplyDelete
  2. very interesting and delicious...love to try this soon..

    ReplyDelete
  3. mouthwatery clicks dear.. enjoyed it..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Roshni...Lovely superrrrrrrr yummy sub. Love your presentation and the clicks.
    First time into your space from "Hosting Walk Through Memory Lane (WTML)" event.
    Happy to follow you! Inviting you to mine,
    http://anshu-mymomsrecipes.blogspot.in/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Roshini ,

    looks perfect !!!!

    and mouth watering Roshini :))))

    Keep on Roshini...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for such generous compliments :))) u made my day !!

    Love the sub!! This is awesome !! 2 of my fav in one, wonder y I never thought of it :)))

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow..wow...lovely..this is absolutely awesome
    Tasty Appetite

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very interesting & delicious eggplant sub!!
    Erivum Puliyum

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow eggplant sub, just perfectly made and o well explained. Lovely post Roshni, thanks again for linking to EP Series...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very yummy Roshini...Feel like taking a bite now.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The photographs are just amazing, Rosh!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. loved ur clicks dear:) looks so yummy and perfect:)
    http://indiantastyfoodrecipes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Omg, Rosh seriously you are killing me with ur clicks, mindblowing sandwich makes me drool.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey Roshni, U've won an award on this dish from EP Series. Pls check and Collect the award. Congrats Dear!!
    http://cook-ezee.blogspot.com/2012/07/round-up-of-ep-series-herbs-spices.html

    ReplyDelete