Thursday 8 November 2012

7 cup cake - Diwali Special - Happy 1st Birthday to the blog - 300th post

This sweet marks a few different occasions. Happy 1st Birthday to my little blog!!! And my 300th post... Plus of course wishing all of you a very happy Diwali!



My mom was a champ in making Mysore Pak. I still remember her making it even in the morning just before going to work to take to her colleagues or my dad's colleagues. It will still be warm when they dig in. It used to take her 15 min to make and may be 10 minutes to cut and pack.. I always grew up thinking it is the easiest thing to make.

I made it for the first time when I was in Chennai. I had her on the phone. It came out pretty good for a first timer who did not know even the basics of cooking :-)

Then my mom learned 7 cup cake from my chitti. It gets its name from the number of cups of all the ingredients together. It is quite easy to make as you do not have to worry about the 1 string consistency :-) My MIL and SIL make this often and make it pretty good. And so we are addicted to it. Though this always figures in MIL's diwali list, her important items are Mixture and Boondi Laddoo..

I am yet to post my Mysore Pak. Will do it soon. And have to try making Laddoo some day...



Ingredients (Makes around 30 pieces)

Besan/Kadala Maavu 1 cup
Coconut 1 cup
Milk 1 cup
Ghee 1 cup
Sugar 3 cups



Method of Preparation

1. Grease a plate with ghee and keep ready.

2. Sieve besan into a pan. You can just add it. I sieve it cause it removes all lumps and makes mixing easy.

3. Add the rest of the ingredients to the pan. Mix well.

4. Place it over heat. You can initially keep it in high till it starts to boil. After that switch to medium heat and towards to final stages keep in low heat.

5. Keep stirring continuously. You will notice that it will start thickening. I have tried to add a picture to show the different stages, Hope that helps. You basically keep stirring till the sweet leaves the sides of the pan. If you stop early, you will end up with a halwa like consistency. If you stir longer than required, it will be hard sweet. The right time to stop will come with practice. You will get an idea after your first time or if you are really good (or lucky), it will be perfect the first time :-)

6. Pour into the greased plate. At this stage it will still be a little watery. Don't worry. It will set in some time as it cools.



7. After 10-15 minutes draw small lines to cut into squares (or diamonds). Don't cut thru at this stage. Wait for it to cool some more.

8. Cut into pieces and store in an airtight box.



Linking this to Lets Cook - Potluck - Event by Radhika

Linking this to South Indian Cooking - Event by Anu, Hosted by Sangee




16 comments:

  1. Wow 1st blogoversary & 300th post! That is simply amazing!! Keep rocking as always :) The sweet looks great!!! I'm already munching one ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Double Mazaa Roshni. I love the spirit with which you take up every post and your attitude too. Burfi is so perfect. Congrats and way to go gal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow !!! Inviting....
    http://recipe-excavator.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday Arusuvai-kurippu :) and great going on ur 300th post Roshni :) Nice recipe, sounds simple and tasty :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy bloggy bday. and thats a perfect celebration sweet

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely sweet treat... looks fabulous.. Congrats on achieving this mile-stone..
    Reva

    ReplyDelete
  7. very perfect and lovely.. looks so good
    http://www.indiantastyfoodrecipes.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Blog B'day!!
    Even I am planning to make the same sweet. But this would be a first time. Will try and let you know :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations Roshni! The Burfi has come out perfectly..love its smooth top!

    ReplyDelete
  10. congrats roshni :) nice treat..

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congrats Roshni, happy birthday to your blog baby..Keep on going dear.

    7cup cake is always one of my fav sweet,but am yet to make and post in my space, will make soon for some special occasion.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulatipons Roshni, Happy birthday :-).

    Perfectly done 7 cups burfi. Happy Deepavali to you & yours.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello Roshni,

    I made this 7 cup burfi and it came out pretty well. Thanks for the recipe.
    Waiting for more interesting ones.

    http://endekushini.blogspot.in/2012/11/7-cup-burfi.html

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello roshini which ingredient we will put first. please tell me in order. I could not understand this. Can we put all ingredients at a time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Just sieve Besan into the pan as mentioned in the recipe. Then add all others and mix well. Then put it on gas. let me know how it comes out

      Delete