Sunday 15 January 2012

Pathir Pheni

Happy Pongal to all of you. Chakkara Pongal (Sweet Pongal) recipe coming soon.. :-)

I am happy to be able to post a traditional sweet from Karnataka on this day. I signed up to participate in the Indian Cooking Challenge by Srivalli and this is my first month with the group. I have seen a couple of past events and was amazed by all the effort put by everyone to make traditional recipes. Looking forward to doing more Challenges with all of you



When I saw last month that the challenge was the make Pathir Peni, I was a little worried. It is one thing to try and make a difficult item and another thing to make an item which I have never tasted or seen before. I decided not to be deterred by that. In I get it right, it is well and good. If not, I will get feedback from other bloggers. Plus I will get to see how different bloggers have handled the challenge.

Since I did not have the fine semolina, I went and got myself a packet of that last week. I made it yesterday night. Will share it with friends today.

Now off to my experience and method of preparation

Ingredients

To make the dough
Fine Semolina 1 cup
Ghee 2 tsp
Salt a pinch
Water as required.

To make rice paste
Rice Flour 2 tsp
Ghee 2 tsp

For Sugar Syrup
Sugar 1.5 cups
Cardamom 1/2 tsp
Water 1 cup

Method of Preparation

1. Take the semolina in a bowl and add solid ghee to it. Crumble with hand to mix well.



2. Add the salt and make a dough with enough water. When I was making the dough, it was super soft and it kept absorbing the water.



3. Keep aside covered for atleast an hour. I left it for 4 hours as I was doing other things and could not get to it till later.

4. Separate into small poori sized balls. I made 10 out of this dough.



5. Flatten like you will for a poori.



6. Make a paste of rice flour and ghee and keep ready.





7. Apply the rice paste and stack the poori into 2 stacks of 5 each.



8. Roll into a log.by applying rice paste in between.



9. Cut into pieces. I make around 8 pieces each



10. Take 1 piece and place it vertically. Roll again. This was a step I probably did not do right. I rolled it into small poori size round. I now feel I should have just pressed it flat.

11. In a vessel, dissolve sugar with water and bring it into 1 string consistency. Add cardamom powder to it and mix well.

12. Heat oil in a kadai. Fry the flattened pooris and immediately dip in sugar syrup. When the next one is fried, put it in the syrup and remove the first one.

13. Drain into a plate. Once it is dried, serve.

I hope you all enjoyed this sweet like we did. Thank you Srivalli for this interesting recipe.



Linking it to Indian Cooking Challenge. You can see other bloggers at this location


18 comments:

  1. Looks awesome..Totally yummy..

    Aarthi
    http://yummytummy-aarthi.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. delicious luking sweet....superb dear

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done, pathi pheni looks simply irresistible..

    ReplyDelete
  4. very tempting and perfectley done pathir pheni..lovely clicks!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. good one! glad you could make it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, I am hosting my first event and giveaway - Valentine Special. Do look it up and send me your great recipes towards the event. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. looks good. Didnt make that tell now.going to try today evening

    ReplyDelete
  8. Rosh, Happy Pongal to you, Chandri & Neel!!! Btw, Pathir Pheni looks very tempting.. But, I haven't tasted this before. what did it taste like?!!?? To me, it looks like jaangri though!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I too made it with the sugar syrup coating.yours look delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yummilicious,drooling!!
    Happy Pongal!!
    Erivum Puliyum

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yummy looking Pathir Phenis..Have never tried them before.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Annz - not able to see your blog from your profile. if you see this comment, please let me know

    ReplyDelete
  13. sasi - it tasted a little like jangari. but if you want to visualuze, think of dipping poori in a sugar syrup. many people made it a little think. some sprinkled sugar on top instead of dipping

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks great..glad you joined us!

    ReplyDelete
  15. It has come out very well and I will certainly try this out. My husband had been wanting to make this for a long time!

    ReplyDelete