Wednesday 8 August 2012

Inchi Thogayal - Ginger Chutney

My bloghop partner this month is Nagashree of Sattvaa. After browsing thru the amazing array of recipes in her blog I picked Allum Pachadi. Paired it with Pesarattu. Don't forget to check my Pesarattu recipe.



I made little changes to the recipe to suit our needs.

Remember that this is fairly spicy and not for the faint of heart. I could not serve it for my little one who is usually ok with most chutneys and thogayals that I make. You can skip the red chillies all together if you want a milder version.

I have to say, as of the day I made this, it is my Favourite thogayal.

Ingredients

Ginger 1 cup chopped
Urad Dal 1/4 cup
Tamarind paste 1 tsp
Mustard 1 tsp
Methi seeds 1/2 tsp
Hing a little
Jaggery 2 tbsp
Red Chilli 4

Oil and salt to taste

Method of Preparation

1. Heat a little oil in a pan. Add mustard. When it sputters, add the whole pealed urad dal.  When it starts to brown, add the methi seeds and red chilli.  Roast till it is all slightly browned. Transfer to a mixie

2. In the same pan, add the chopped ginger and cook for a few minutes. Add to mixie

3. Add a little water to the pan (2-3 tbsp) and powdered jaggery. Melt it. Add to mixie.

4. Add tamarind paste, salt and hing to the mixie.

5. Grind to a paste.

Enjoy with dosa or idli. You can mix with rice as well. I even had the left over as a sandwich spread.





Linking this to Blog Hop Wednesday - Recipe by Nagashree of Sattvaa. Check other bloghoppers here

12 comments:

  1. Never tried this way.Looks nice & must be a good side dish for dosa..
    http://www.indiantastyfoodrecipes.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. delicious thogayal.. like your click :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely click.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't have a week heart so this surely is my type of chutney

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tempting and delicious thogaiyal. Perfect for idly n dosa...

    Divya's Culinary Journey

    ReplyDelete
  6. Slurp, thats a super flavourful and fingerlicking thogayal.

    ReplyDelete
  7. very nice thogayal...really a perfect pair with pesarattu...looks inviting!!
    Spicy Treats
    Ongoing Event ~ Celebrate Month of Shravan

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for choosing this recipe, it is one of my favorite too. Looks very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  9. unique chutney. love to try this soon. bookmarked.

    ReplyDelete