Wednesday 29 August 2012

Oats Adai

Basking on the success of Oats Idli, I made the Oats Adai the very next day. This was our thought process. Husband asked me - can you made adai tomorrow. I said sure. and then - can you suggest a variation to the regular adai so that I can post in my blog. He had just finished eating Oats Idli and so to tease me he said - why not add oats. Little did he know that it is an actual recipe and I will make it...

It tasted quite like the normal adai. Did not find much difference. The only thing that we found different was the graininess of rice that you find in adai was missing. So imagine while making regular adai, you by mistake make a fine paste instead of the 'kara kara' paste. Something like that. Tasty never the less. Will be making this often.



Makes about 15 adai

Ingredients

Oats  2 cups
Toor Dal 1/2 cup
Urad Dal 1/2 cup
Channa Dal 1/4 cup
Onion 1 finely chopped
Red Chilli 1 (Add more for spicy adai)
Curry Leaves few
Hing
Salt

Optional (I did not add this time. But I usually add for adai)
Coconut, green chilli, coriander leaves

Method of Preparation

1. Soak the dal overnight or atleast 5-6 hours.

2. Toast the oats in a pan. Powder it.

3. Drain water from the dal. Add red chilli, hing and salt. Also add green chilli, curry leaf and coriander leaf if using. Grind into a coarse paste with enough water.

4. Transfer to a vessel. Add the oats as well. Add more water if needed.

5. Mix in the chopped onions as well.

6. Make dosas as you will with normal adai.

Enjoy with chutney or molaga podi



Linking this to EP Herbs and Spices - Curry Leaf and Red Chilli Event by Julie hosted by Poonam

6 comments: