Monday 27 August 2012

Roasted Tomato and Barley Soup

The idea behind this recipe is the same as that is used in the Tomato Basil Pasta Sauce and the Eggplant Sub. I have added barley as well to the tomoto soup to make it a complete meal. Barley is new member in my kitchen. I fell in love with it when I made this Barley Biriyani

Though basil originally is from India, you hardly see it being used in Indian cooking. It has an awesome smell and taste. Barley is rich in Amino Acids. And tomatoes are so full of anti oxidants. This soup will make a super healthy and filling meal.

Oh! For those of you wondering about the cup - I got it in a car boot sale (British equivalent of yard sale) for 20p (Rs16) :-) And my husband was not too happy with me accumulating junk... So I promised him I will throw it away after I take a tomato soup photo... Am I going to?? No way... Have to find another reason to tell him so that I can keep it :-)



Add a yummy bread to dip!

Ingredients (Serves 5-6 generous cups)



Tomatoes 15
Onion 1
Celery 1 stalk
Garlic 4 pods
Basil Leaves a handful
Barley 1/4 cup
Italian Seasoning 1/2 tsp

Oil and salt to taste



Method of Preparation

1. Soak barley overnight and drain the water. Add 3/4 cup of water and pressure cook for 4 whistles. Drain excess water. Keep ready. Or cook barley on stove top.

2. Preheat oven to 175C. Cut the tomato into 2. Place in a baking tray facing upwards. Brush with a little oil on the top. Sprinkle the italian seasoning. Bake for a hour.

3. In a pan, heat a little oil. Add chopped onions and garlic. Saute till it browns a little.

4. Add celery as well and cook for a little bit.

5. Add chopped basil leaves and mix. Cool this.

6. Grind to a smooth paste and transfer back to the same pan.

7. Grind the tomatoes as well in batches and add to this pot. Add any juice from tomato in the baking sheet as well.

8. Add barley and some salt as needed and simmer for a few minutes.

Serve with bread of choice. Bread recipe coming tomorrow! Stay Tuned!




Linking this to Lets Cook - Starters - Event by Radhika
Linking this to I Love Baking

8 comments:

  1. Looks awesome Roshni, soup and the cup are both very enticing :-). This is more chunky in texture than regular soup, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. My favorite soup, loved the addition of barley never tried that tough. The cup is too cute, please dont throw it :)

    http://shwetainthekitchen.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Soup looks very pulpy and delicious ......

    Do visit me on ...........

    http://nayanas-kitchen-kreations.blogspot.in

    ReplyDelete
  4. yummy soup and nice clicks :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Highly inviting soup,thick soup looks super comforting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. healthy and delicious soup...lovely clicks..I have the same soup cup:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. looks so yumm and healthy... love the clicks very much...
    VIRUNTHU UNNA VAANGA

    ReplyDelete