Wednesday 29 August 2012

Palada Payasam

Ada is one of my favourite ingredients to make payasam. Ada is prepared from scratch by making a paste of rice flour, smearing on banana leaf and then steaming. I am not doing it this time, just using store bought ada. There are two variations of this payasam - Palada Payasam (Made with Sugar and Milk) and Ada Pradaman (Made with Jaggery and Coconut Milk)

Today I present to you the recipe of Palada Payasam.



This year as Onam is on 29th (a wednesday), I decided to make just payasam and a simple lunch today and then a feast on the weekend.. Stay tuned for the Onam Sadya!!

Ingredients (Makes 3 cups)

Dried Ada About 1 cup
Milk 2 cups
Condensed Milk 1/2 cup
Cardamom 1/2 tsp
Saffron a few strands

Method of Preparation

1. First step is to cook the ada. Boil water (about 3-4 cups) and add the ada to boiling water. Cook till it is soft and you are able to cut with a spoon. Keep stirring as the ada will stick to the bottom. It took me about 10 minutes. Drain. Wash in cold water and keep ready.

2. In the meanwhile, in a thick bottomed pan heat milk. Bring it to a boil. Ideally, you should boil till it reduced to half and then add sugar. I am not that patient. So I just used some condensed milk to give it a nice thickness and colour.

3. Add the condensed milk and saffron. Let it simmer for a few more minutes.

4. Add cooked ada and cardamom powder. Stir and simmer for a few minutes.

Palada is ready to be served.

Wishing all the readers of my blog a Very Happy Onam.



Linking this to Show me your hits - Rice - Event by Sangee, hosted by Vardhini
Linking this to Onam Special @ Sharan's Samayalarai




12 comments:

  1. Happy Onam To u n ur Family!! love any kind of Paysam that too with palada is my fav...looks too delicious...loved that pretty jewelry set :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Onam to u all,delicious looking payasam and the palakka malai is so cute...

    ReplyDelete
  3. very delicious sweet... i love it very much... ll do this weekend...
    VIRUNTHU UNNA VAANGA

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Onam to you & family, payasa looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Onam!! Payasam looks delicious and rich.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sooper yummy payassam dear....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yummy payasam and nice presentation. Thx for linking.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yummy & delicious Payasam.. Loved ur Palakka mala :), I got carried with this and got this mala last week...

    Thanks for linking this to my event... Please do add the event-logo.. Expecting more recipes from you :)

    Inviting you to join my on-going events :-

    Onam Sadhya Grand Feast

    Vinayagar Chathurthi Event

    Cheers,
    Sharanya
    Sharans Samayalarai

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have emailed you the logo dear :)

    ReplyDelete