Monday 15 October 2012

Pepper Corn and Tofu Masala

Paneer is a favourite among Indians and our family is no different. One of my friends wrote to me to tell me that she usually does not make paneer cause it is fatty. Very true. She tried one of my paneer dishes and liked it. I was telling her about how I substitute Tofu for Paneer to make some dishes.

I realized that I have not posted any recipe like that. When I saw this recipe in Kaveri's Blog, I decided to change paneer to tofu as the other veggies going in like the corn and pepper go well with tofu anyways. It was an awesome dish. We really loved it and got a super healthy dish out of it. Ofcourse, you can make this with Paneer as well



Ingredients

Corn 2 cups
Tofu 1 big block (400gm)
Green Pepper 1
Onions 2
Tomato 2
Garam Masala 1 tsp
Cumin powder 1 tsp
Chilli powder 1 tsp
Ginger 1 inch piece
Turmeric 1/2 tsp
Hing a little
Kasuri Methi 1 tbsp

Oil and salt to taste

Method of Preparation

1. Heat corn in mircowave for a couple of minutes. I used frozen corn.

2. Drain water out of the tofu. Place it in a paper towel and keep it like that for 15 minutes to drain off any excess water. If tofu does not come in a water pack you can skip this step. Cut the tofu into small pieces.

3. Heat a little oil in a pan. Add the tofu and fry till all the sides are nicely roasted stirring and turning in between. Keep aside.

4. Heat some more oil and add the chopped onions. Saute onions till it starts to brown.

5. Add grated ginger (and garlic if you want. I did not have and so did not use). Saute for a couple more minutes.

6. Add chopped pepper and saute for a couple of minutes.

7. Add finely chopped tomato and add a little water. Mix everything and simmer with closed lid till the tomatoes and peppers are cooked.

8. Add the garam masala, chilli powder, cumin powder, turmeric and hing along with some salt. Mix well and add some more water if needed. Bring to boil.

9. Add corn and fried tofu. Mix and simmer for a few minutes.

Serve with roti.



Linking this to Lets Cook - Protein Rich Food Event by Radhika

11 comments:

  1. i love tofu.... that bowl looks so tempting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. simple and delicious masala..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually, you won't believe it but I haven't cooked with Tofu yet...I always see it when I buy paneer, but opt for the latter. Should try it soon..
    This is one of our favorite curries..Like your version.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yummy and lovely combo... New to me.. I have sent you an email regarding the event-logo.. Do check it dear...

    Expecting your recipes for my on-going event Natural Sweetness Event with White Sugar

    Cheers,
    Sharanya
    Sharans Samayalarai

    ReplyDelete
  5. this is very healthy yet gorgeous looking dish.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very interesting and healthy masala,excellent side dish for rotis.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love it.
    Http://realhomecookedfood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Today's dish.. Thank you! I haven't tried corn in any of my dishes before. Tasted nice and crunchy. Thanks for the inspiration, Rosh! Keep going

    ReplyDelete