Thursday 4 October 2012

Chow Chow Kootu with Channa Dal

Chow chow or Bombay Kathirikka as it is called in India is a vegetable that is not usually very popular (as in not very much liked). I also do not make it often though the reason is not because we do not like it. As I mentioned in Podalanga Kootu recipe, we do not eat much rice and so making kootu just never happens much. Plus a trip to Indian store is required for these veggies.

Last week when I was in a local British store, I was pleasantly surprised to see Chow Chow named as Chayote in the vegetable isle. Knew I had to pick it up. Came home with 3 of them and made this awesome kootu...

As I was discussing with my husband the other day, we make a lot of kootu - vegetable and dal combo. And each vegetable has a specific dal combination. Sometimes each family uses different combo.. My home and my in laws we use channa dal with chow chow. I have seen moong and toor used as well.



Ingredients

Chow Chow/Chayote/Bombay Kathirikka 3
Channa Dal 1
Coconut 1 cup
Green Chilli 1
Curry Leaf few
Jeera 1 tsp
Turmeric 1/2 tsp
Mustard 1/2 tsp
Urad Dal 1 tsp

Oil and salt to taste

Method of Preparation

1. Pressure cook the channa dal with enough water till it is cooked well but not mushy. Drain water from the dal. Keep the water.

2. Peal and core the chow chow. Cut into small pieces.

3. Add to a pot with a cup of water and the turmeric. Cook till the vegetable is almost cooked. Check water in between.

4. Grind coconut, green chilli, curry leaf and jeera into a fine paste by adding a little water.

5. Add to the pot along with the dal and salt. Add the dal water if required.

6. Cook for a few more minutes till it all comes together.

7. In a small pan, add oil and mustard. When it sputters, add the urad dal. When it starts to brown, add to the kootu. You can skip the jeera and curry leaf in the coconut paste and add to the tempering if you prefer.

Serve with rice and sambar. I just love to mix it directly with rice and eat.

Linking this to Lets Cook - Protein Rich Food Event by Radhika

Linking this to South Indian Cooking - Event by Anu, Hosted by Sangee

9 comments:

  1. i prepare it little different.. this version is also easy..

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so right Rosh. I mostly use channa dal but I do use moong dal at times.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We call it Bangalore Kathrikka...I like all kinds of kootu...and this is one of my favorites

    ReplyDelete
  4. This kootu is very interseting

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love to have this kootu simply with a bowl of rice and lemon pickle..Yumm!

    ReplyDelete
  6. வாவ்...சூப்பர்ப் சத்தான கூட்டு..ரொம்ப நல்லா இருக்கின்றது...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have stayed this vegetable because of its appearance.. I should try this recipe.. looks yummy..:)) Bookmarked..
    Reva

    ReplyDelete
  8. We call this vegetable 'Seeme badane kaayi', it has a wonderfully mild and sweet flavor.

    ReplyDelete