Monday 8 October 2012

Makai Aloo Ki Subzi - Corn and Potato Curry in a green sauce

Corn is my son's new favourite. I am always looking for ways to make dishes with it. When last month for AGC my partner gave me corn as secret ingredient, I wanted to make something like this. But due to lack of time that week, I just made a mini corn uttappam. No regrets there though. It was a hit with him.

I found a recipe similar to this in a website of a pakistani lady. Totally forgot to note the link. So cannot give link back :-( I do not remember her exact recipe, but made it with whatever I remember. It was a new recipe for us. Liked it.



Ingredients

Corn 3 cups
Potato 2
Bay leaf 1
Clove 2
Cinnamon 1 inch piece
Cardamom 2
Jeera 1 tsp
Milk 1/2 cup
Water 2 cups

To make a paste

Onions 2
Garlic 6 pods
Ginger 1 inch piece
Coriander leaves a small bunch
Poppy seeds 1 tbsp
Green Chilli 2

Method of Preparation

1. Steam/boil the potatoes. Peal and cube them.

2. Make a paste of all the ingredients under the list.

3. Heat oil in a pan. Add the jeera, bay leaf, cinnamon, cardamom and clove.

4. When it sizzles, add the onion paste. Saute till it is well cooked. I always find it hard to brown onion paste than onions as the colour change is not that easy to detect. But the water content will evaporate and with practice you will know when it is done. If you don't cook well, it will have a bitter taste.

5. Add the corn and potatoes and mix well. Add the milk and water. You can also add more milk or use just water. Add salt and mix well.

6. Simmer for 5-10 minutes till it all comes together.

Serve with rotis

Linking this to Lets Cook - Protein Rich Food Event by Radhika

7 comments:

  1. Interesting and colourful subzi,excellent side dish for rotis.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting combo, looks creamy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like this green gravy..have tried it 2 -3 times...it's good for a change from the regular tomato onion gray.
    Nice combo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gravy looks different and delicious

    ReplyDelete