Monday 22 October 2012

Dal Dry Curry

For lack of better name, I named it dal dry curry. It is inspired by Usili. I added onions and tomatoes to make it into a complete dish. My little one and I loved eating it as is as dish on its own. Served it as a side for roti for my husband.



Ingredients

Toor Dal 2 cups
Onions 2
Tomato 2
Red Chilli 2
Hing generous
Jeera 1 tsp
Turmeric 1 tsp
Garam Masala 1 tsp

Method of Preparation

1. Soak dal for a couple of hours.

2. Drain water and grind into a coarse paste with red chillies, hing and salt. Add a little water if needed.

3. Roll into balls or flatten into idli moulds and steam for 10-15 minutes till well cooked.

4. In the meanwhile, heat oil in a pan. Add Jeera and turmeric.

5. When it sizzles, add chopped onions. Saute till it starts to brown a little.

6. Add finely chopped tomatoes. Saute till it is well cooked.

7. Once the dal mix is cooked, cool and crumble it. Using hands will make things easier.

8. Add to the tomato onions mix along with some garam masala and if needed more salt.

9. Mix well and cook for a few more minutes.


Linking this to Lets Cook - Protein Rich Food Event by Radhika

Linking this to South Indian Cooking - Event by Anu, Hosted by Sangee

8 comments:

  1. Yummy and tempting curry.. looks inviting :)
    Indian Cuisine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whenever I prepare usili I keep a little extra dal. I like the steamed spicy dal...This one sounds very interesting...must've tasted yum

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can have it simply with a hot steaming rasam rice, nutritious curry.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My favorite, I add different veggies, never thought of tomatoes :-)

    ReplyDelete