Wednesday 17 October 2012

Peanut Sundal - Verkadalai Sundal

For the second day of Navarathri, I made Peanut Sundal (Verkadalai Sundal)



When I told my husband what I was making, he asked peanut sundalaaa? Meaning - there is no such sundal. Ok, I kind of have to give it to him. My mom never made peanut sundal. Neither did my MIL (so says my husband). I vaguely remember my dad telling me that his mom used to make it.

But I read and reread a lot of my blogging friends make peanut sundal. Now come to think of it, it is nothing but the steamed masala peanuts that you buy in the beach.

I was a little sceptical today when I started making it as I was not sure about the soaking and cooking part of it. How may whistles, how much water etc. I googled around and then took a guess as to how my peanut will cook and got it right (luckily).

Ingredients

Raw Peanut 1.5 cups
Red Chillies 2
Mustard 1/2 tsp
Turmeric a pinch
Hing a pinch

Coconut 2 tbsp (optional)
Curry leaf (i did not have it. so none added in mine)

Oil and Salt to taste

Method of Preparation

1. Soak the peanut for about 3 hours. Drained water. And then add water till it is covered. Pressure cooked for about 2 whistles. Drain water and keep aside.

2. In a pan, heat a little oil. Add mustard.

3. When it sputters, add red chillies (and curry leaf), turmeric and hing.

4. Add the drained peanuts, salt and coconut. Toss well.

5. Simmer for 1-2 min and switch off

Peanut sundal (Verkadalai Sundal) is ready! Its as simple as that.


Linking this to Lets Cook - Protein Rich Food Event by Radhika

Linking this to South Indian Cooking - Event by Anu, Hosted by Sangee


6 comments: