Thursday 11 October 2012

Peri Peri Nuts - Nandos style

AGC this month is kicking off with the theme - 5 ingredients or less. This is a bit of a challenge for me as I always have a few different things going on in my recipes. My husband on the other hand is of the type - less is good. But even he accepts that for some curries, all the different flavours going in give it the taste.

We are crazy fans of a restaurant called Nandos in UK. Recently came to know that they are open in a few cities in India as well. They are famous for their spicy peri peri sauce. It is just out of the world. It comes in different spice levels - mild, medium, hot and extra hot. I always go for the extra hot in my burgers. My husband sticks to the hot. Most ppl order medium or hot. So you get the idea. The best part is everything is grilled there. No deep frying.

Peri Peri nuts is something we always order to munch on while waiting for the food. The sad part is that we get a small cup of nuts for the £3 and we are always fighting for it. So I decided to make it at home as it is super simple to make once you have the sauce.



Armed with the sauce, I tried a few different times to get the timing, sauce and oil right. All the batches disappeared within minutes.

Ingredients

Almonds 1/2 cup
Oil 1 tsp
Peri Peri Sauce 2-3 tsp
Salt a pinch

Method of Preparation

1. Toss all the ingredients together. Arrange in a microwave safe plate and cook for 1 minute.

2. Take out and toss well. Add more salt if needed. Microwave for 30 more seconds.

3. Take out and check again. If required microwave for 30 more seconds. You will smell roasted almonds when it is done.

Mine was done in 2 min. When I tried a smaller batch with (1/4 cup) I needed only 1 min. So keep an eye on timing.



I enjoyed some peri peri nuts with my cup of tea and Ponniyin Selvan. For those who do not know what Ponniyin Selvan is - It is a historical fiction written in Tamil by Kalki. First appeared in a periodical called Kalki and then was published as a 5 part book. My Tamil is not strong enough to read that series. So I enjoy it in English. Reading for the third time now. Reading in Tamil is one of my things to do before I die.

Have you read Ponniyin Selvan and do you like it? How many times have you read the book?




Check out the other AGC thoughout this week 
AnushaJayanthiKavithaPriya MRadhikaVeenaPriya S

Linking this to Lets Cook - Protein Rich Food Event by Radhika

Linking this to What's with my cuppa - Event by Nupur

I saw a recipe of Piri-Piri Sauce online and am adding here for those who do not get it. It is a recipe  by jamie oliver and i have not tried it.

PIRI PIRI SAUCE

  • ½ red onion
  • 2 cloves of garlic
  • 1-2 bird's-eye chillies
  • 1tbsp sweet smoked paprika
  • 1 lemon
  • 2tbsp white wine vinegar
  • 1tbsp Worcestershire sauce
  • A bunch of fresh basil 

PIRI PIRI SAUCE: Peel and roughly chop the red onion and add to the liquidiser with 2 peeled cloves of garlic. Add the chillies (stalks removed), 1tbsp paprika, the zest of 1 lemon and juice of ½ a lemon. Add 2tbsp white wine vinegar, 1tbsp Worcestershire sauce, a good pinch of salt and pepper, the bunch of basil and a swig of water. Blitz until smooth. 

15 comments:

  1. hey rosh whats peri peri sauce? Crunchy almonds by the way

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a sauce they sell in the Nandos restaurant :-( it is their signature sauce.. all burgers and snacks have them in it. It is spicy and flavourful... it is available here in supermarkets or their restaurants..

      Delete
  2. I have heard and bought Piri Piri sauce before - did not know it was also called peri peri - this is a simple and delicious snack!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very healthy snack, first time hearing abt this sauce...Read only the first part very long time back...Heard abt that book from my fil...Love to read the remaining books but no time :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. The sauce is something new to me and Rosh how could you not try this simple thing so far and paid that much amount. The almonds are looking so crunchy and going by the sauce I believe the almonds tasted sort of sweet and tangy and hot too right.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Peri-Peri sauce, heard of that before- gotta try at home. I bet the almonds would have tasted swell with the sauce. BTW, ponniyin selvan in english- wowee !

    ReplyDelete
  6. Simple and crunchy snack..
    Piri-Piri sauce...I think I had it sometime..

    http://anshu-mymomsrecipes.blogspot.in/

    ReplyDelete
  7. never heard about this sauce.. would like to try it .. i have not read that book but my mom is a big fan of old authors.. she has all the collections of kalki and saandilyan..

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hear about this peri peri sauce,but never tried in my cooking, btw those almonds looks fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The almonds are looking so good. Need to try them, totally agree about finding it hard to cook with less ingredients. Jayanthi(www.sizzlingveggies.com)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Never heard of Peri Peri sauce but saw your explanation in reply to anu's comment..Almonds look good.

    btw..on seeing the pic just remembered that I should get all the volumes of Ponniyin Selvan from my brother...had completed reading the first volume

    ReplyDelete
  11. The sauce ingredients sound delicious, badams look inviting, that is the problem with all snacks right? You just can't stop eating them :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. New to your Blog..
    Almonds looks very Tempting..

    ReplyDelete