Sunday 14 October 2012

Semiya Upma

I was just browsing my blogs to see what recipes I am yet to post that are popular in my house. I was surprised to see that I have not posted semiya upma (vermicelli upma). I make this atleast once a month. So here you go. Simple and comforting bowl of breakfast.

As usual, I want to highlight the goodness of this kind of recipes. Notice the amount of vegetables going in in this. I always make sure that whenever I make upma, I add more vegetable that the base ingredient. Great way to get start your day.



Ingredients

Semiya 1.5 cups
Vegetables 5 cups
Water 2 1/4 cup (1:1.5 ratio)
Peanuts 1 tbsp
Channa Dal 1 tsp
Urad Dal 1 tsp
Jeera 1 tsp
Turmeric 1/2 tsp
Mustard 1/2 tsp
Curry Leaves few
Green Chilli 1
Ginger a small piece
Onions 1

Oil and salt to taste

Method of Preparation

1. Heat a little oil (1 tsp) and add the semiya (vermicelli). Saute till it changes to light brown in colour. This is an important step as it prevents the upma from sticking together and becoming guey.  Remove from pan and keep aside.

2.  Heat some more oil in the pan. Add the mustard.

3. When it sputters, add the peanuts, channa dal and urad dal. Saute till it starts to brown.

4. Add the jeera, curry leaves, green chilli (chopped), ginger (chopped) and let it sizzle.

5. Add chopped onions and saute till it turns translucent.

6. In the meanwhile, steam the vegetables in microwave for 10 minutes. I used frozen. If using fresh vegetables, you can either steam in microwave longer or just add after the onions and saute till it is cooked.

7. Add the vegetables and mix well.

8. Add water. I add in 1:1.5 ratio. Bring to boil. Add salt as well.

9. Add the roasted semiya and mix. Simmer and cook till all the water is evaporated stirring in between.

Serve with coconut chutney or just as is.


Linking this to South Indian Cooking - Event by Anu, Hosted by Sangee


8 comments:

  1. One of my favourite upma, can have it anytime.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fav breakfast option in my house, yours looks very tempting

    Blog - http://shwetainthekitchen.blogspot.com/
    Facebook Page - https://www.facebook.com/ShwetaintheKitchen

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is one the most frequently made items in my house..but I haven't posted it yet..There are so many such recipes which we make very often but they find their way into our spaces very late :(
    Love this one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree, upmas provide a great way to steal in veggies and that is how we like it. Semiya upma is a frequent one in my kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My most favy dish...
    http://recipe-excavator.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete