Wednesday 9 January 2013

Andhra Pappu - Tomato Dal

Dals are a family favourite. My little one will happily eat his roti if I give it to him with some simple dal. 'This is my favourite' he said after finishing his roti with this dal. My husband suggested that I should make dal every day. So much for me exploring and learning new recipes and cooking it for them. All they want is simple dal :-)

Andhra food is one of my favourites. Though not sure how authentic they are, I have fond memories of eating lunch from Andhra Mess while living in Chennai. My favourite at that time was the pappu or dal. Here is my humble effort to recreate it.



Ingredients

Toor Dal 1 cup cooked with 3 cups of water
Mustard 1/2 tsp
Jeera 1 tsp
Turmeric 1/2 tsp
Hing a little
Garlic 6-8 pods
Onion 1 big
Tomato 3 big
Curry leaves a few sprigs
Green Chilli 3
Coriander leaves to garnish

Oil and salt to taste

For tempering

Mustard 1/2 tsp
Jeera 1/2 tsp
Red Chilli 5

Method of Preparation

1. Pressure cook the dal with 3 cups of water till it is well cooked.

2. Heat some oil in a pan. Add mustard. When it sputters, add the jeera and turmeric. Let it sizzle.

3. Add chopped garlic and saute till it starts to brown.

4. Add the chopped onions and saute till it changes colour.

5. Add curry leaves and green chill. Saute for another minute.

6. Add chopped tomatoes, turmeric, hing and salt. Mix well. Let it cook.

7. Once cooked, add the cooked dal and some water as required. Bring it to a boil and simmer.

8. Garnish with coriander leaves and serve with roti or rice.

6 comments:

  1. Yes u made me to walk through my memories with this post...we friend used to go to andhra mess once a week during office hours for lunch..the dal especially tomato pappu will be the yummiest of all ) we used to come late after lunch without getting noticed by our manager:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It happens you know Rosh. here i m ready to take over cuisines from all over the world and my H is content with dal and jeera rice or rasam and rice most of the days! Sigh... the trials and tribulations of a food blogger that only we can understand. And i want to dunk my fingers into that bowl and lick them clean

    ReplyDelete
  3. yummy and mouthwatering dal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow...Yummy and tempting tomato dal...Love those flavors...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Some comfort foods cannot be replaced no matter what else you cook. This is a regular at our home too, looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete