Tuesday 8 January 2013

Vegetable Biryani - Mughal Biryani

Biryani is a special sunday lunch in most Indian households. My mom used to make it every sunday and my husband fondly remembers his mom's sunday biryani. The recipe below is neither my mom's nor my mil's (I have to make those sometime soon) :-).

We enjoyed an awesome Sunday lunch with this yummy Mughal Biryani along with some onion/tomato raita.

Though I have been blogging for an year now, I was surprised when my brother's friend asked why I do not have a biryani recipe in my blog. I could not believe I have not made Biryani in over a year. So here you go... Will be making many other regional biryanis in the months to come. Stay tuned!!



Ingredients

Basmati Rice 3 cups
Tomatoes 3
Pepper 2 (I used 1 red and 1 yellow. Use whatever colour you have at hand)
Potato 1
Carrot 3
Cauliflower 1 small piece
Peas 1/4 cup
Saffron 2 pinches
Milk a little

Coriander leaves a little

To make a paste
Garlic 10 pods
Ginger 1 inch piece
Green Chilli 3
Onions 3
Cardamom 3
Clove 3
Cinnamon 2 inch piece
Poppy seeds 1 tbsp

To garnish
Onions 1
Cashews 2 tbsp
Raisins 2 tbsp

Oil and salt to taste

Method of Preparation

1. Make a paste of all the ingredients under 'To make a paste'. Do not add water. Keep aside.

2. Cook the rice in 4.5 cups of water. (adjust according to your rice). Transfer into another vessel. Loosen with a fork and keep aside.

3. Mix the saffron in some warm milk and add to the rice. Also add some salt to it.

4. In a pan, heat some oil or butter. Add the cashews and fry. Keep aside. Add raisins to the same oil and fry and keep aside. Finally add the sliced onions and fry till they are slightly browned. keep aside for garnish.

5. In the same oil, add the ground paste. Saute for a few minutes.

6. Then add the tomatoes and peppers. Saute and cover and cook.

7. In the meanwhile, boil the potatoes, cauliflower, carrot and peas. Alternately, you can also steam them separately in the microwave. I used the microwave.

8. Once the tomatoes and peppers are cooked, add the cooked veggies and mix well. Add some salt as well to it. Remember that you are salting the rice as well.

9. Add the coriander leaves as well.



Final preparation

1. Preheat the oven to 200C.

2. Take a baking tray or a deep oven safe bowl.

3. Add a layer of rice. Then add a layer of veggies. Then another layer of rice and then veggies. Start and finish with rice layer. I used a rectangular baking tray. I did one layer of veggies between 2 layers of rice.

4. Sprinkle some milk on top. Cover and bake for 15 min.

5. When you are ready to serve, invert into a flat plate. Garnish with the onions, cashews and raisins.

Serve with some raita!

7 comments:

  1. wow lovely biryani i love it superbly done :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. totally awesome Rosh!!!!!! I'm drooling! I love Biryani!

    ReplyDelete
  3. lovely flavors n awesome biryani...u have cooked the rice perfectly...feeling so hungry now :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Perfectly made biriyani,looks awesome...

    ReplyDelete
  5. so attractive and tasty dish

    ReplyDelete