Wednesday 16 January 2013

Sweet Corn Rasam

I used to make just the standard tomato rasam. On my husband's request I started experimenting with Rasams. My starting point was the Meenakshi Ammal book. It is a must own for learning basic Tamil cooking. The Blogging has introduced me to the fact that Rasam can be made with an array of ingredients, that I never imagined possibble. I saw this rasam recipe and was totally interested in trying it as Corn happens to be my little ones favourite.



Ingredients

Sweet Corn to garnish 2 tbsp
Rasam Powder 2 tsp
Tamarind paste 1 tsp

To make a coarse paste
Sweet Corn 5 tbsp
Coriander leaves a little
Curry leaves 3 sprigs
Garlic 2 cloves
Cumin/Jeera 1 tsp
Pepper 1 tsp

To temper 
Ghee 2 tbsp
Mustard 1 tsp
Curry leaves few

Oil and salt to taste

Method of Preparation

1. Make a coarse paste of all the ingredients under the 'to make paste' head.

2. Heat oil in a pot. Add the paste. Saute for a couple of minutes.

3. Add 4 cups of water and the tamarind paste. Mix well.

4. Add Rasam Powder and salt.

5. When it comes to a boil, switch off.

6. Garnish with the reserved sweet corn.

7. To temper, heat ghee in a small pan. Add mustard. When it sputters, add the curry leaves and transfer to the rasam.

9 comments:

  1. wud love to have a full bowl with some pepper
    Siris Food Flavours

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow this sounds very interesting rasam.... innovative rasam too....

    ReplyDelete
  3. innovative rasam.. very new to me..
    http://www.indiantastyfoodrecipes.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for trying my rasam Roshini :) Glad you loved it!! I love this rasam too and am sure your kid must have enjoyed it too :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Super comforting and fabulous rasam.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very innovative one...
    http://recipe-excavator.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. very interesting and healthy..

    ReplyDelete
  8. sounds interesting, yummy n flavorful rasam...will try it soon.

    ReplyDelete