Monday 14 January 2013

Milagu Vadai - Anjeneyar Vadai - Hanuman Vadai

Anjaneyar temple in Nanganallur is quite famous. The deity is a 32 ft Hamunam carved out of a single stone. The neivedhyam there is Vada Malai (Garland made of Vadai). On an average 30-40 small garlends (about a couple of feet long) and 3 big garlands (head to toe of the hanuman) are offered by devotes each day. There is so much demand to book it. The small ones have atleast a month long wait and large ones are about a year long wait.

When I saw the recipe for Milagu Vadai in this site, I wanted to try it. I made it for Hanuman Jayanthi last Friday.

Milagu vadai uses the same dal (urad dal) as medhu vadai. But it is very thin and crisp.



Ingredients

Urad Dal (whole pealed) 1 cup
Rice Flour 1 tsp
Black Pepper 1/2 tsp
Salt 1 tsp

Method of Preparation

1. Soak the Urad dal for an hour.

2. Drain and let it rest for 30 minutes.

3. Grind into a coarse paste without adding water. Sprinkle a little water if need be. Transfer to a bowl.

4. Pulse the peppers and add to the bowl along with salt and rice flour.

5. Mix everything together.

6. Heat oil for frying.

7. Take a plastic sheet of paper or a ziploc bag. I just tore the ziploc and opened its 2 sides. Grease the paper with a little oil.

8. Take a small ball of dough. Place it on the sheet. Cover it with the other side of the ziploc (or another sheet).

9. With a small vessel (I used a steel dawara), press on the ball to get a thin disc like that of a thattai.

10. Open and then put a small hole in the centre.

11. Peal gently and transfer to the hot oil. Fry till both sides are cooked. 

5 comments:

  1. Delicious Vadai, totally new to me. Don't feel its made of urad dal, u'v made it so nice n thin. Its always great to read about festives like these here :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anjaneyar is My fav God...I believe him strongly he never fails to help me...n whenever I was happy n got my wishes done ...I used to express my thanks to him by adorning Him with this vadai malai :)
    U have done it so well...love these vadas too, spicy n crunchy vadas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been wanting to make these for a long time...Looks very good Roshni

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow looks so delicious and this is new to me too.

    ReplyDelete