Thursday 31 May 2012

Vegetable Kohlapuri




I picked up the recipe for Vegetable Kohlapuri from my Tarla Dalal book. As per my Maharastrian friend, Kohlapur food should be super spicy. It is out of question when I am cooking for my little one as well. So I have gone low on spice level.


Ingredients

Cauliflower 2 cups (half of a big one)
Carrot 4
Beans around a cup
Fresh Green Peas 1/4 cup
Onion 2
Tomatoes 3
Garam Masala 2 tsp
Coriander Leaves for Garnish

Salt and oil to taste

For the paste
Coconut 1/2 cup
Red Chillies 2
Garlic 8 pods
Ginger 1 inch piece
Poppy Seeds 2 tbsp
Sesame Seeds 1 tbsp



Method of Prepartion

1. Cut the vegetables into big chunks (Cauliflower, Carrots, Beans). I steamed them all separately in the microwave so that I can get a nice crunchy texture.

2. Grind the ingredients under 'For Paste' into a fine paste adding a little water.

3. Slice onions. Heat oil in a pan. Saute the onions in the pan till they are nice and brown.

4. Add tomatoes and the paste. Cook till it combines well and oil starts to ooze.

5. Add the garam masala, salt, 1.5 cups of water and the steamed vegetables. Bring it to a boil.

Garnish with coriander leaves and serve with warm rotis

My son said - After you cook and take photos, can you please take photo of the cup I am eating from. Could not refuse. I think he is going to grow up thinking, taking photos is a mandatory part of cooking :-)

12 comments:

  1. Healthy n delicious..similar to avial:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Roshni, I too have tried it from her book though very spicy as we all at home love it that way. Yours look great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow...super yummy recipe....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Super colourful vegetable kholapuri,excellent side dish for pooris.

    ReplyDelete
  5. very yummy recipe.. very versatile dish

    ReplyDelete
  6. curry looks mouthwatering. I am feeling hungry right now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have tried this recipe from Sanjeev Kapoor's book and it is one of my favorites..Your curry looks delicious..

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yummy recipe...nice dish..
    Awards for you in my space..Please collect...
    Shabbu's Tasty Kitchen

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Roshini,

    Punitha of http://www.southindiafoodrecipes.blogspot.in

    New to your space:)


    At your free time do visit my space Roshini.

    Vegetable kohlapuri looks awesome... Neat presentation ...Keep on :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice recipe and its looks tempting too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. All your recipes look amazing ! thanks for the lovely blog ;-)
    Feel free to stop by, say hello and follow the blog so that you'll be getting daily updates (-:
    http://purevegetarianbites.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete