Thursday 12 April 2012

Lemon Rasam

Have you guys seen the movie Julie and Julia?? It is a movie with 2 parallel plots - One that of Julia Child played by Meryl Streep and Amy Adams playing Julie Powells. Julie is a food blogger. One part of the movie is about how Julia Child becomes the cookbook author we know today. Other part is about Julie's attempt to blog her way thru Julia Child's cookbook. It is a very funny and touching story. Recommend it!

I think it will strike a special cord with us bloggers. When you watch the movie, I felt like I am seeing incidents happening in my house. No no, I do not fight with my husband like that. But you know what I mean, all those near fights also count right?

But at the end of the day, I think it is all worth it considering that I am able to get some delicious food to our table.

As I mentioned in an earlier post of Mysore Rasam, I promised my husband to try making different rasams every time I make it. I used to make rasam without the dal in it (unless I am making sambar and have cooked dal available). Today after I made this rasam, my husband remarked 'finally a rasam with dal'.

Have I told you before. He is not very good at remembering what I cooked or knowing what ingredients are there in a dish. So I am still wondering if he really knows the difference between one rasam and another. But then, this one has nice distinct flavours. He did know that!!

I used the Meenakshi Ammal Cookbook for the recipe



Ingredients
Toor Dal 1/4 cup
Lime 1
Tomato 1 (Optional)
Green Chillies 1 (add more according to taste. Recipe called for a lot more. I kept it low so that my son can enjoy it better)
Hing
Mustard 1/2 tsp
Curry Leaves few
Coriander Leaves - little

Salt and oil to taste
Ghee for tempering 1 tsp

Method of Preparation
1. Cook the toor dal in enough water. Whisk well.

2. Heat a pot and add a little oil. Add the green chilles (slit) and chopped tomato. Saute for a little bit till the tomato starts to cook.

3. Add the dal water (around 3 cups). Add some plain water if required to make up the quantity.

4. Add the salt and hing. Bring it to a boil.

5. When it starts to froth, switch off.

6. Add the juice of Lime.

7. In a small kadai, heat ghee. Add mustard. when it sputters, add the curry leaves. Add to the rasam.

8. Garnish with coriander leaves. Serve hot with rice.


Linking this to Kerala Kitchen Event hosted by Ramya



Linking this to WTML - Festive Recipes hosted by Rasi

11 comments:

  1. wow delicious rasam,can have any time:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i like the movie too.. i feel once i should blog about all recipes of a particular cook book :).. its still a plan though.. we love rasam & love the lemon rasam for its tanginess!

    Ongoing Event : WTML

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super comforting food for me.,love it..

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw the movie recently...I particularly relate to the scene where Julie waits eagerly for the first comment on her first post. My situation was very much the same.

    Very comforting rasam...looks delicious

    ReplyDelete
  5. tangy rasam.. An award waiting for you at Noel collections .. congrats :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. so tangy and delicious lemon rasam..

    ReplyDelete
  7. nice and flavourful rasam. thanks for sendign to kerala kitchen

    ReplyDelete