Sunday 29 April 2012

Coriander Chole

Try as I might my Chole never comes out good. When I saw this recipe in Radhika's site, I decided to give it a shot as most dishes I have tried from her site have been great successes. If you are not too keen on the coriander part of it, you can skip it and still follow this recipe to make perfect Chole. Loved it.

Until a few years ago, I never knew that there are people who 'HATE' coriander. When I say hate, I really mean it. Its not that they do not like it, they hate it. I was very surprised. If I am not sure about the tastes of my guests, I usually ask them before hand. But till I knew about this hate thing, it would never have occurred to me not to garnish any roti side with coriander leaves. Are there any Coriander haters/lovers among you??



Ingredients

Channa 1.5 cups
Onion 2
Tomato 2
Ginger 1 inch piece
Garlic 2 pods
Star Anise 2
Clove 2
Cinnamon 1 inch stick
Chilli Powder 1/2 tsp
Turmeric 1/2 tsp
Coriander Powder 1 tsp
Cumin 1/2 tsp
Channa Masala 2 tsp
Coriander Leaves 1 bunch

Method of Preparation

1. Heat oil in a pan. Add the sliced onions and saute a little.

2. Add the ginger, garlic, Star Anise, Clove, Cinnamon and saute till the onion starts to brown.

3. Chop the tomatoes and add to this. Cook till tomatoes are done.

4. Cool and grind into a paste along with the coriander leaves.

5. Add back to the pot. Add the chilli powder, turmeric, cumin, coriander powder and channa masala powder. Mix well and cook for a few minutes.

6. Cook the channa. Drain and add to the pot. You can use the water that was used for cooking Channa to adjust the consistency of the dish.

Serve with rice or roti. Mine did not get the green colour that I was looking for. Tasty nevertheless.

10 comments:

  1. I love the aroma of fresh coriander leaves and like to add it in all my dishes...Delicious chole...

    ReplyDelete
  2. perfectly done and delicious chole..

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow delicious chole,luks awesome...

    ReplyDelete
  4. yummy n luks delicioyus..........

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow...very flavorful n yummy chole...great with rotis...loved it!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was looking around your blog and I am really craving Indian food! This dish looks delicious! Do you think I can use garam masala instead of chana masala? And I really love coriander, it's a really nice herb, I add it to a lot of my soups.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes you can definitely substitute garam masala. But if you get a chance do try chick peas with channa masala. It adds that unique taste to it.

      Delete