Sunday 15 April 2012

Badam Semiya Payasam

I made Semiya Payasam - Vermicelli Kheer for Vishu lunch. I wanted to make a variation from the usual one and made the badam payasam. But don't get deterred by the name thinking there are a lot of extra steps. I just added some MTR Badam Powder to the payasam. Yes, yes I know. Have been using this a lot lately. Its kind of my new love. I wish it did not have so much sugar in it. Can people not add their own sugar? What is the deal with them adding all the sugar for you.. Anyways, it did add a nice flavour to the payasam. I just reduced the amount of sugar I added.





Krishna - Krishna being the favourite god in Kerala, it is quite normal for people to make the vishu kani in front of his idol. My son loves listening to Krishna Story. The birth of Krishna being his favourite (That's the first we told him, i guess that's why). Whenever he feels like eating some butter, he will tell us - I want to eat butter just like Krishna. Don't day no :-)




Palakka Malai - Palakka is a piece of jewellery closely associated with Kerala. Look at the beauty... Traditional colour is green. But they do come in blue, red and purple. They also have matching earrings to go with them.



Now off to the recipe.

Ingredients

Semiya 1 cup
Milk 7-8 cup
MTR Badam Powder 8tbsp
Nuts few
Raisins few
Ghee to roast the nuts and raisins.
Sugar 1 little less than 1/2 cup

Method of Preparation

1. Heat the ghee in a pan. Add the cashews. Roast them and keep aside.

2. In the same pan, add the raisins. Roast them and keep aside.

3. Add the semiya/vermicelli and roast for a little bit.

4. Add a cup of water and allow the semiya to cook.

5. Once cooked add the rest of the milk, badam powder and sugar.

6. Bring it to a boil and switch off. Garnish with the nuts and raisins.




Linking this to Kerala Kitchen Event hosted by Ramya


Linking this to WTML - Festive Recipes hosted by Rasi

6 comments:

  1. Happy vishu :) love the payasam & the pattern of the chain.. so traditional & beautiful :)



    Ongoing Event : WTML

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love palakka mala...though I don't have one..I got one for my daughter..love its traditional design...
    Payasam looks very yumm...like the twist of adding badam milk powder

    ReplyDelete
  3. very yummy payassam, loved the addition of badam powder...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful palakka necklace

    ReplyDelete
  5. i too add MTR badam feast to semiya payasam...its a tip i got from my friend and she had reminded me to add less sugar as the powder is too sweet...thanks for sending this payasam to kerala kitchen

    ReplyDelete