Sunday 17 June 2012

Karela Massalam

I made this based on a recipe by tarla dalal. It called for deep frying the Karela. I did not do that. I am sure it would have tasted good. But I just steamed it in the microwave. I love the bitterness of the Karela and this preserved it.



Ingredients

Onion 2
Karela (Bitter Gourd) 4 (around 4 cups)
Tomato 5
Ginger 1 inch piece
Garlic 4 pods
Chilli Powder 1 tsp
Coriander Powder 4 tsp
Turmeric Powder 1/2 tsp
Cumin/Jeera 1 tsp
Cream or yogurt 2 tbsp



Method of Preparation

1. Cut the Karela into small pieces and steam them. You can fry them if you choose

2. Heat oil in a pan. Add jeera. Slice the onions and saute it till it is browned.

3. Make a paste of ginger and garlic. Add to the onions along with coriander powder, chilli powder, turmeric and saute. Add 2 cups of water and simmer for 5-6 minutes.

4. Make a puree of the tomatoes and add. Simmer till the tomatoes are cooked well.

5. Add some cream to this. I did not have any. So I just added some yogurt. Add some salt as well.

6. Add the steamed or fried Karela to this and simmer for sometime. Switch off. Serve with some warm roti

5 comments:

  1. healthy and yummy...
    http://indiantastyfoodrecipes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. very healthy and delicious one. amazing

    ReplyDelete
  3. Different side dish... Looks nice. U have a lovely blog. Happy to follw u. Do join me when u find time
    My culinary Trial room

    ReplyDelete