Thursday 14 June 2012

Nankatai - Indian Cookies


Those who have been following me know that I am so scared of baking. When I say baking, I am not talking about making cakes and all those wonderful stuff. Even turning on the oven to bake some vegetables scares me. I have tried making cakes a couple of times and most have ended in disasters.

I decided the time has come for me to get over that fear. With that in mind I started making a few things - mainly vegetable side dishes. That step went well. I even made my version of Dil Khush and Pizza. But I knew that those were minor steps. The big step is when I actually make a cake. That has to wait for now. 

For this month's Blog Hop I was paired with Veena. There were quite a few recipes in her site that I liked and I started bookmarking them to find 'the' one that I wanted to make. When I saw the recipe for Nankatai I knew this is my chance to do a little something to face my fear. I am glad I did. It turned out really good. My son called it cookies and kept asking for more. What better compliment can you ask for.


Ingredients - Makes 15 Cookies

Maida/All Purpose Flour 1 cup
Sugar Powdered 1/2 cup
Ghee 1/2 cup 
Cardamom 1/4 tsp
Baking Soda a pinch
Salt 1 pinch


Method of Preparation

1. Take ghee in solid form in a bowl (i made ghee by melting butter and once done I kept in freezer for 5 minutes). It should not be hard or melted.

2. Mix in the powdered sugar. Whisk till it is nice and creamy. I used a hand blender and worked for a few minutes

3. Add the maida, cardamom, baking powder and salt. Mix well with hand for a minute or two. Let it sit for 20 minutes.

4. Preheat the oven to 190C. Greese a cookie sheet. Make 15 small balls out of the dough and flatten to form a cookie shape with your hand. 

5. Arrange with some space in between and bake for 12-14 minutes. 

6. Cool for 15 minutes and store in an airtight container.

Notes - Updated on 15/06/2012 

1. The cookies on the farther end of the sheet were slightly browned at the base. The ones near the oven door were better. So next time, I am thinking may be I will rotate the tray half way thru...

2. I tried sticking some pistas on the top. I did not press some of it in well. A few got burned :-)


Linking this to Blog Hop Wednesday - Recipe by Veena
Linking this to I love Baking
Linking this to Lets Cook - Kids Special
Linking this to Cookie Mela




18 comments:

  1. Hey..looks so yummy. I didn't know that it is that easy to make these delicious cookies. I am expecting to have some when we visit you guys next time:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. sure chandrika.. you say easy.. but you should have measured my stress level trying to make these... am happy with the result

      Delete
  2. Beautifully done,Yummicious bake..love these anytime:-)

    Ongoing Events at(Erivum Puliyum)-
    1. The Kerala Kitchen(June'12)

    2.EP Series-Basil OR Cardamom

    ReplyDelete
  3. perfectly done n the nankhatais looks very delicious...lovely presentation dear!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Saw your space!!!Wonderful recipes..Nanakatai is very tempting....

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am sooo book-marking this recipe! They look superb, I wanted to try nankhatai.. and these tempt me more. Book-marked!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks incredible and super tempting..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yummy... want to munch some.....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Super irresistible nankattais,feel like munching some.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Delicious Nan Khatais...Very nicely done..

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love Nan Khatayis, never baked them with APF though. alwyas used Whole Wheat Flour.. would like to try this version too

    ReplyDelete
  11. this looks so awesome. i can have this nankhatai anytime

    ReplyDelete