Wednesday 20 June 2012

Oven Roasted Chunky Tomato and Basil Pasta Sauce



I found a new blog recently. I forget how I got to her blog. Anda has some amazing recipes. I cannot stop just looking at all the photos. When I was there, I saw the recipe for a tomato soup. I am not a tomato soup fan. But when I looked her soup, I realized that I will love her soup.

I decided I am going to use that recipe to make tomato sauce for my pasta. I did change a few bits here and there, but stuck to the main theme of the dish. I think I will never buy a bottle of tomato sauce. I had some tomatoes I had bought to make pickle. But now that will have to wait.



I also bought a small basil plant instead of the packed basil. Given my luck with plants, not sure if this will last. But this is not gardening, its just a small pot sitting on your kitchen window. I think I can survive that. 

The inspiration for this was when we were in Wales a couple of weekends ago. We were driving thru a small village in the middle of no where. It had a small restaurant. We took seats outside on the patio after ordering pasta with tomato sauce (the menu was meagre. the only vegetarian option was this). It was such a simple dish. But we finished every little bit of the plate. It was so comforting.

Ingredients

Tomatos 11
Basil 20 leaves (more to serve)
Dried Italian Herbs 1 tbsp
Oil 3 + 1 tbsp
Garlic 3 cloves
Green Peas (optional) 1 cup
Pepper Powder 1/4 tsp
Salt to taste



Method of Preparation

1. Preheat an oven to 175C. In the mean while cut the tomatoes into half. Arrange them in a pan with the cut side facing up.

2. Mix the oil, dry herbs and salt in a small bowl. Brush this mixture on the top of the tomatoes.

3. Bake them for 1 hour 15 minutes. Remove the skin from the tomatoes. Look how lovely they look with all the juices....



4. Make a paste of garlic. In a pan, heat 1 tbsp of oil. Add the garlic and let is sizzle for a few seconds. Add the tomatoes along with all the juices.

5. Mash all of it together with the back of the spatula. You can also run it thru a blender before adding if you want a smooth sauce. I was looking the chunky tomatoes.

6. Add the basil leaves (chop it a little before adding). Mix well.

7. You can add some fresh or frozen peas as well. Depends what you are doing with the sauce. I will skip it if I were using for Pizza or Eggplant parmigiana. As I was making Pasta, I decided to add peas.

8. Simmer for a few minutes and switch off. Serve topped with more basil leaves.



Linking this to EP - Herbs and spices - Basil and Cardamom Event by Julie, hosted by Prathibha
Linking this to I Love Baking - Event by Radhika

15 comments:

  1. Lovely tomato basil pasta sauce, never thought making it by oven roasating the chunky tomatoes. great idea. Thanks a lot for linking it to EP Series :)
    On Going Event EP Series Basil or Cardamom @Cook-Ezee

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks so tempting and delicious..loved the combo..

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow..superb n yummy tangy sauce,Roshni..Thanx again for linking dear!!

    Ongoing Events at(Erivum Puliyum)-
    1. The Kerala Kitchen(June'12)

    2.EP Series-Basil OR Cardamom

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thats one tempting flavor combo... Would be perfect in a pasta

    ReplyDelete
  5. enjoyable post and pictures.. very interesting recipe..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, Roshni, this looks awesome! You've made me hungry :) The addition of peas is also a nice idea!
    I also have a long history of killing plants. Basil is actually a pretty difficult one to grow in a pot so don't blame yourself too much if it dies.
    Thanks for the link and happy eating!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The color is so vibrant and sounds very interesting as well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. very interesting and flavor rich recipe...looks very colorful n inviting...your pics are getting so sharp n better day by day...loved your style too...keep it up!!
    will try this for sure..
    Spicy Treats

    ReplyDelete
  9. Omg, oven roasted tomatoes and basil pesto,can imagine the flavours..

    ReplyDelete
  10. I loved the first click...Very flavorful and nice vibrant color

    ReplyDelete
  11. 1st photo is very attractive. nice and different way of making pasta sauce.

    ReplyDelete
  12. wow super yummy sauce Roshni.....

    ReplyDelete
  13. Absolutely Delicious. I just spent my evening making this and I enjoyed it greatly. It is super healthy actually and will help me on my quest for all natural skin tightening. Thank you for this recipe and please keep them coming.

    ReplyDelete