Saturday 9 June 2012

Carrot 'Celery' Coriander Soup

Winter is over - well for most people.... But here in UK, it still feels like winter. I was almost tempted to switch the heating back on yesterday... The temperature is @ 14C with lows of 8C in the evening. This is one thing I hate about UK. Where is summer??? (oh by the time I am posting this, the weather has changed, there is a lot of sun today.. wooohoooo)

The rain made me make some soup. And I chose Carrot Coriander Soup.



Last Weekend being the Jubilee of the Queen, we had a 4 day weekend. So we hit the road. We drove to the Pembrokeshire National Park in South Wales. It was an amazing trip. Lots of fun... The weather was not so great... But it was Partly Cloudy on Day 1, Light rain on Day 2 and Sunny on Day 3. So overall not so bad.





When we were out and about in the cold, it was so comforting to have a bowl of soup with some bread. One of the soups we had was the carrot coriander soup and I knew I had to make it again soon.



Carrots are orange in colour right?? Am I wrong? Then why is my soup so green. I so wanted to blame it on the coriander. But guess what - he is not the only culprit. The guy who made my soup green is the celery. You might ask what celery is doing in carrot soup... Good question. I love celery in soup. So though not used by people to make carrot soup, I decided to add it anyways. If I knew I will loose the colour, I might have skipped it. So I ended up not making carrot soup... But all is not lost, I got a new soup variety to try. Carrot soup will have to wait.



As usual, the photo taking did not work as I wanted. I am very new to taking photos. And I am trying my best to learn. But the sun is not helping me at all. It was so dark and gloomy the whole day. I will keep trying. One of these days I am bound to take photos that I will love. In the meanwhile I will be happy enjoying the photos taken by some of my fellow bloggers.

Now off to the soup

Ingredients

Carrot 15 medium ones
Onion 1
Potato 1 medium
Celery 3 stacks (optional)
Coriander Leaves 1 cup (pressed down)
Coriander Powder 1 tsp

Oil and Salt to taste



Method of Preparation

1. Heat oil in a pan. Add chopped onions. Saute for a couple of minutes.

2. Add potatoes, celery and carrot all roughly chopped. Saute for a few more minutes.

3. Add 3 cups of water (or stock). Bring it to a boil and cook till all the vegetables are cooked. Add the coriander leaves

4. Cool. Stain the vegetables. Keep the water. Grind into a smooth paste in batches.

5. Transfer back to the pot with the cooking water. Bring it to a boil.

Serve with some crusty bread. This quantity made a big batch. It served around 5 big cups of soup.



Linking this to Show me your Hits - Carrots and Beets. Sangee Event hosted by Anusha

9 comments: