Friday 22 June 2012

Spiced up Peanut Butter Fruit Salad

Yes, you read it right... Spiced up... I am crazy about mangoes (everyone in our house is). When we buy it I rarely get a chance to make anything with it as there is so much demand to eat it as is. I grew up in Kerala and the mangoes are not so great there. So we used to look forward to our summer holidays in Ahmedabad (Gujarat) where my mom grew up and my grandparents lived. Mangoes were the highlight....

Though mangoes are not available in abundance here, a trip to the Indian store will get me some decent mangoes during the season. The Alphonsos they sell are usually very pathetic looking. So I always go for other mangoes. This time I found some which looked quite fresh. When I ate it, I was amazed by how sweet they were. I had almost forgotten how they tasted. But the downside, I am not used to so much sugar in my mango and after a day or two I found it too sweet.

That is when I decided to spice it up. I really liked this salad. You can use any fruit of your choice. Apples and bananas make a great pair with peanut butter.

You can skip the chilli powder if serving for kids. The cardamom and peanut butter will add nice flavour. But this is only very mildly spiced. My little one liked it.



Ingredients
Mango 1
Apple 1
Raisins 1/4 cup
Peanut Butter 1 tbsp
Chilli Powder 1/8 tsp
Cardamom 1/8 tsp
Salt a pinch

Method of Preparation

1. Cut the fruits into small bits and add to a bowl. Add in the raisins as well

2. In a microwave safe bowl, add the peanut butter and heat for 30 seconds till it is melted.

3. Add the chilli powder, cardamom and salt. Mix well.

4. Add this mix to the fruit bowl. Mix everything well.



Linking this to Lets Cook - Kids Special

10 comments:

  1. Nice and healthy idea to add peanut butter in fruit salad..

    ReplyDelete
  2. spiced salad.. sounds great..

    ReplyDelete
  3. lovely idea.....awesome salad....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chilli powder in fruit salad sounds intriguing! I bet it must have been delicious...let the new ides keep coming!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmmm delicious looking salad.. Loved the addition of chilli powder

    ReplyDelete
  6. interesting salad recipe. so refreshing salad.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a fabulous and super tempting salad.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Roshini ,

    Fruit salad looks Suuuperb !!!!

    Rich in colour :))

    Keep on Roshini...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I must try this! I adore mangoes and I'm very jealous of those people who have their own mango tree in their backyard. I dream of having my own mango tree one day. Until then, I do as you do - buy my mangoes from the Indian market or from the organic section of the grocery store.

    ReplyDelete