Sunday 2 September 2012

Vegetable Sambar - Kerala Style Sambar

Sambar is an essential part of a South Indian meal. Though cooked in all the states (and by many north indians as well), they have unique recipes. As I mentioned in an earlier post, my favourite sambar is the Kerala Style sambar. It could be cause my mom makes the Tamil Style sambar and we eat it everyday. Kerala sambar we eat on special occasions. Though I know the taste and have an idea of how to make it, I had never been able to perfect the taste. This Onam I was able to make a Sambar that was perfect for me. This will be the sambar that will be made at our home from now on!



Ingredients

Toor Dal 1/2 cup
Potato 2
Carrot 1
Vendakka 7
Onions 1
Tomato 2
Green Chillies 1 (add more for a nice spicy sambar)
Tamarind paste 1 tsp
Curry Leaves few
Sambar powder 3 tsp
Hing a little

Oil and Salt to taste

Method of Preparation

1. Cook the toor dal with a couple of cups of water in a pressure cooker till is mushed up well.

2. In a pressure cooker, heat some oil. Add onions. Saute for a minute. Add curry leaves and green chillies

3. Add potatoes, carrots, vendakka all cut into big pieces. Saute for another minute

4. Add the tomatoes,  tamarind paste, sambar powder and mix well.

5. Add the cooked dal. If needed add some more water. (I added 1 cup of water).

6. Pressure cook for 2 whistles.

Garnish with coriander leaves (optional). Sambar is ready to be served with rice



Linking this to Lets Cook - Lentils and Legumes Event by Radhika
Linking this to Onam Special @ Sharan's Samayalarai



12 comments:

  1. Fingerlicking sambar,inviting..my fav..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Superb recipe, will try it sometime

    http://shwetainthekitchen.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummy sambhar..we don't usually add vendakka/okra in our place in sambhar..:)
    Join my ongoing EP events-Oregano OR Paprika @ Foodomania

    ReplyDelete
  4. Its real tasty sambar...
    http://recipe-excavator.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sambhar has always been my fav, love it with Idli and Chutney ..

    ReplyDelete
  6. really nice one. Wish you could share how do you make the sambhar powder next time, I would love to do some from scratch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jehanne, thanks for the feedback... Yes, making sambar powder from scratch takes sambar to a whole new level. My MIL makes it for me when I am in India. So never made myself. Blogging has inspired me to try making myself. But that has to wait a little as I have a huge batch in my pantry...

      Delete
  7. Delicious and inviting sambar... Thanks for linking this to my event.. plz do add the event-logo.. Expecting more recipes from you :)

    Inviting you to join my on-going events :-

    Onam Sadhya Grand Feast

    Vinayagar Chathurthi Event

    Cheers,
    Sharanya
    Sharans Samayalarai

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete