Monday 3 September 2012

Tomato Rasam

Rasam, as I have mentioned in my earlier Rasam posts, can be made in so many differences. For an amateur, I used try different rasams and they all used to taste the same. But with time I have learned to make Rasam that has distinct taste. Though it sounds an easy recipe to make Rasam, I believe Rasam making in an art...

This one is my go to Rasam. You can't make much mistakes in this one. I served this in my Onam meal. Hope you enjoy it.



Ingredients

Tomato 2
Rasam Powder 2 tsp
Tamarind Paste 1/2 tsp
Toor Dal water 1/2 cup (or 1/8 cup of dal cooked in water)
Hing a little
Ghee 2 tsp
Mustard seeds 1/2 tsp
Curry Leaves few
Jeera 1 tsp
Coriander leaves a little

Method of Preparation

1. Heat a pan and add tomatoes along with 1 cup of water.

2. When tomatoes are cooked, add tamarind paste, rasam powder and salt.

3. After it is boils for a few minutes, add the dal water. Usually if you are making rasam and sambar, the water of the dal is used in Rasam and dal part in sambar. Otherwise you can just cook a little dal and whisk it into a clear water and add.

4. When it froths up, switch off.

5. In a small pan, add ghee. Add mustard. When it sputters, add jeera and curry leaves.  Add this to the rasam.

6. Garnish with coriander leaves.

Check out other Rasam Varieties in my blog!
  1. Mysore Rasam
  2. Lemon Rasam
  3. Jeeraga Milagu Rasam (Cumin-Pepper Rasam)
  4. Mint Rasam - Pudina Rasam
Linking this to Lets Cook - Lentils and Legumes Event by Radhika
Linking this to Onam Special @ Sharan's Samayalarai



13 comments:

  1. My friend introduced me to this rasam & have been loving it ever since..yours looks so delicious

    http://shwetainthekitchen.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tasty and tangy rasam...
    http://recipe-excavator.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice Rasam dear...My MIL is a big fan of rasams and she prepares lots of different varieties.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Deliciously comforting food, ready anytime!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Delicious rasam.. Thanks for linking this to my event... Please do add the event-logo.. Expecting more recipes from you :)

    Inviting you to join my on-going events :-

    Onam Sadhya Grand Feast

    Vinayagar Chathurthi Event

    Cheers,
    Sharanya
    Sharans Samayalarai

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Roshni,

    This is a gentle reminder to add the logo of the event (Logo Url - http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-2XCiE_d7nGk/UDNwrmywrxI/AAAAAAAADpI/7GRBBrOBcuM/s400/Onam_Sadhya_Event_Vigsha.jpg)

    I am gonna post the round-up of the event. As per the rules of the event, I wont be able to add your post in the round-up without the logo.


    Cheers,
    Sharanya
    Sharans Samayalarai

    ReplyDelete