Wednesday 26 September 2012

Navarathna Kurma

Navarathna Kurma is a sweetish kind of side. I am not usually a person who likes sweet taste in my curry. But then, I had a variety of vegetables and was just thinking what is the dish that I could try different. So I made this. We did not quite mind the sweetness in the dish.



Ingredients
Onions 2
Tomato 2
Green Pepper 1
Red Pepper 1
Carrots 2
Beans 1/2 cup chopped
Peas 1/2 cup
Cauliflower 1/2 c to 1 c
Potato 1

Ginger 1 inch
Garlic 4

Milk 2 cups

Cashews around 15
Raisins 2 tbsp
Pineapple pieces (canned) 10 pieces

Garam Masala 2 tsp
Chilli Powder 1 tsp
Coriander Powder 1 tsp
Turmeric 1/2 tsp

Oil and Salt to taste

Method of Preparation

1. Cook the vegetables - pepper, potato, cauliflower, carrot, beans and peas by boiling in a vessel or pressure cooking. I cooked for 2 whistles and it got a little mushed. Next time, I think I will cook for only 1 whistle.

2. Heat oil in a pan. Add sliced onions. Saute till it is browned.

3. Make a paste of ginger and garlic and add. Saute for a couple of minutes.

4. Puree tomato and add. Cook till the raw smell of tomato is gone.

5. Add chilli powder, garam masala, coriander powder and turmeric. Mix well and cook for 2 more minutes.

6. Drain water (keep the water) and add the vegetables.

7. Add milk and if required some water saved. Add cashews, raisins and salt. Bring to boil and simmer.

8. Add the pineapples chopped at the end and mix well. Garnish with coriander leaves.

9 comments:

  1. Am inviting myself to your place, such a fabulous looking colourful kurma..

    ReplyDelete
  2. i wanted to make this for long time, but lack some stuffing...looks delicious...great with those soft chapathis!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful, always had navrathna kurma at restuarants but yet to try at home, but now definitely will :)


    Blog - http://shwetainthekitchen.blogspot.com/
    Facebook Page - https://www.facebook.com/ShwetaintheKitchen

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is my MIL's favorite curry whenever we go out and I made it for her BD this time, scored my brownie points as well :-). Navarathna kurma looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have tasted in functions but never tried...Looks delicious and perfect with roti's.

    ReplyDelete