Thursday 6 September 2012

Baingan Bharta

We are doing a Virtual Birthday Party for our friend Radhika of Tickling Palates. Do join us in wishing her a very happy birthday

Radhi - I see that you do not have a Bharta recipe in your blog... Do try it..

Do check out the others joining me
Priya Sreeram with nutty choco bites
Priya Mahadevan with roasted garlic cherry tomatoes
Kavita with chocolate cake



Followers of my blog know that my husband thinks he does not like Eggplant. I used to not like it earlier. But now a days I kind of like it. I have made a few dishes with eggplant to bring it to our family table. I have to say, I have won the battle with my husband's false notion. This is one of his favourites. I have already made it twice - yes, per his request.



Ingredients

Eggplant/Aubergine 2 medium (I used the thick and long variety, if using indian variety adjust numbers)
Onions 2 big (or 3 medium)
Tomatoes 3
Cumin 1 tsp
Garam Masala 2 tsp
Coriander Powder 1 tsp
Ginger 1 inch
Garlic 6 pods
Green Chilli 1 (add more for spicy dish)

Oil and salt to taste

Method of Preparation

1. Preheat the oven to 230C. Line a baking pan with aluminium foil. Place the eggplant. Make a couple of slits on it. Brush the whole eggplant with a little oil. Bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes till the outer surface is roasted and wrinkled. I turned the eggplant once at 20 minutes.



2. Take out the eggplant and cool a little. Peal the skin and collect the inside part. Run a knife thru it and mash it. Keep ready.

3. While the eggplant is getting roasted, you can work on the gravy. Heat oil in a pan. Add cumin.

4. When it sizzles, add the onions. Saute till it starts to brown.

5. Make a paste of ginger, garlic and green chilli. Add to pan. Saute.

6. Add finely chopped tomatoes. Cook till it comes together as a paste. This is very important. You do not want tomatoes coming as lumps when you are eating a mashed up curry.

7. Now add the garam masala, coriander powder and salt. Mix well and cook for 2 more minutes.

8. Add the roasted eggplant. Mix well.

Serve with rotis.



7 comments:

  1. A tangy and yummy dish fit for a celebration :) cheers, priya

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG... What a surprise? I'm really so touched and honored Rosh. I honestly wish I'm more worthy of all your love. And yes you are right. I do not have a bharta recipe and Yes definitely I'm gonna try this one out coz., that shiny eggplants are looking so marvelous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yummy preparation roshni.. i just love to have it with chapati..

    ReplyDelete
  4. yummy yummy delicious bhartha by the way rosh i also add capsicum to this and that takes this to another level. Give it a shot sometime

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely way to celebrate, bharta looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fantastic virtual party, Radhika would have been pleased by all ur lovely gesture. Bharta looks fabulous.

    ReplyDelete