Monday 10 September 2012

Peas Kurma

Kurma is a totally easy to make side. Mostly enjoyed with parota, appam or idiyappam, it tastes good with roti and rice as well. If I am running short of time, I generally make a vegetable kurma. There is no recipe in the blog yet. Well you can't blame me... I just told you that is a last minute thing...

Do check out the Paneer Kurma and Tomato Kurma recipes in my blog

This one is yet another awesome Kurma. Do you like the click below? I just fell in love with it.



Ingredients

Dried Peas (Green or Yellow) 1.5 cups
Onions 1
Tomato 2

To grind to paste
Coconut 1/2 cup
Cinnamon 1 inch piece
Cardamom 1
Clove 2
Star Anise 2
Bay Leaf 1
Saunf 1 tsp
Cumin 1 tsp
Kus Kus 1/2 tsp
Ginger 1 inch piece
Garlic 5 pods



Method of Preparation

1. Soak the peas overnight and cook with enough water in a pressure cooker. I cooked for 2 whistles and got a slightly mushy peas. I used yellow peas, you can use green peas as well.

2. Make a paste of all the items under - to grind adding a little water.

3. Heat oil in a pan. Add the sliced onions. Saute till it starts to brown.

4. Add chopped tomatoes and cook till they are well cooked.

5. Add the paste and saute for a couple of minutes.

6. Drain peas and reserve water. Add peas and some of the water (as needed) and salt. Mix well.

7. Simmer till the raw smell of masala is gone.

Serve as a side for Idiyappam, Appam or Parota. Can be enjoyed as a Roti side as well.

Linking this to Lets Cook - Lentils and Legumes Event by Radhika

8 comments:

  1. perfect with parotta.. making me hungry here :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I make this very often, such a fulfilling tiffin recipe fo rus.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the combination of spices you have used, will try your version soon. The picture is indeed pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow...super kurma, sounds very aromatic n yummy...great with rotis n puris...will try it sometime :)

    ReplyDelete