Wednesday 12 September 2012

Vendakka Mor Kozhambu

My husband remarked recently that I do not cook many tamil dishes. Well, it is kind of true. But believe me I am not to blame for that. He loves roti so much. So during week days we mostly eat that. So weekends are my old chance to make south indian. That too one of the days, we go out somewhere. So it is packed lunch.

Today I just took the opportunity to create a super simple kozhambu made of yogurt and spiced with coconut, green chillies and curry leaves.



Ingredients

Okra/Vendakka 8-10
Curd 2 cups
Water 1 cup
Coconut 3/4 cup
Green Chilli 1 (add more for spicier version)
Curry Leaf few
Mustard 1/2 tsp
Jeera 1 tsp
Turmeric 1.5 tsp

Method of Preparation

1. Grind coconut, green chilli and part of curry leaf into a smooth paste by adding a little water.

2. Heat oil in a pan. Add mustard. When it sputters, add the jeera, curry leaves and turmeric. Add turmeric according to taste. I like my kozhambu nice and yellow. So I added a lot. Also note that this step can be done right at the end and added to the kozhambu. I did it now as I did want to use more oil and also no second pan.

3. Chop the okra into big pieces (3-4 pieces depending on the size). Add to the pan.

4. Saute till it is almost cooked.

5. Meanwhile, in a bowl take the yogurt. Add the ground coconut paste. Add some of the water as needed and mix well.

6. Once the okra is almost done, add the yogurt mix. Cook in low-medium flame from this point. Otherwise the yogurt will kind of curdle.

7. Simmer for a little while (around 5 minutes) and switch off.

Serve with rice. My favourite side with this is cabbage thoran.

Linking this to Onam Special @ Sharan's Samayalarai



13 comments:

  1. Paathaley naaku orrardhu :) My little one is a Morkozhambu subbi - she LOVES it and I make instant MK for her whenever she demands it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fingerlicking mor kuzhambu, can survive for many days with it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mor Kuzhambhu is my favourite.. just love this one and I cant resist this anytime..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mor kulambu looks yum....love it...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yummy kuzhambu. Love your version.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mor Kuzhambu is my H's favorite...This one looks just perfect Roshni

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love Mor kuzhambu much much...
    http://recipe-excavator.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thisu one is very new for me Roshni.. Okra in Yoghurt gravy .. wow !!

    Hey , please try and participate in my new event

    Cook with-Poppy Seeds

    ReplyDelete
  9. Okra mor kuzumbu is my favorite after the ash gourd one, such a comfort food.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yummy Kuzhambu.. Looks so good.. Thanks for linking this to my event... Please do add the event logo.. Expecting more recipes from you :)

    Inviting you to join my on-going events :-

    Onam Sadhya Grand Feast

    Vinayagar Chathurthi Event

    Cheers,
    Sharanya
    Sharans Samayalarai

    ReplyDelete