Saturday 29 September 2012

Tofu and Vegetable Stir Fry in Ginger Garlic Soy Sauce



My husband is a vegetarian. I have serious issues with egg, cheese and many dairy items. When I try to make stuff from other cuisines, I always find it challenging as making things that are vegetarian and without egg/cheese is not always an easy thing. I recently found a book Easy Vegan from the library. This book was an answer to my problem. 

It has various chapters divided by course like soups, starters, salads, mains, desserts and drinks. Has an array of dishes in each category from different countries. The photos are there for all dishes, and they are very clear as to how the finished dish will look like.

Perfect book if you are looking for vegan dishes from different courses and cuisines. One of the things I really loved is that this book does not use any meat substitutes. I am not looking to recreate a meat like taste but trying to enjoy vegetarian food as it is.


We @ AGC are going Chinese/Indo Chinese for this week. I have made many Indo Chinese dishes in my blog. But never made a proper chinese dish. So I decided to make this. Though I did not quite follow the recipe from the book, I took inspiration from a dish in that book.

I have not quite captured the taste of the dish in the photos.. It tasted awesome....

Check out other (Indo)Chinese dishes in my blog

Gobi Manchurian
Vegetable Lomein - Noodles
Vegetable Fried Rice
Vegetable Manchurian

Ingredients
Tofu 1 block (about 400gm)
Broccoli 1 head (about 300 gm)
Asparagus 2 bunches (about 150 gm each)
Scallions 2tbsp chopped
Ginger 2 inches thinly sliced
Garlic 2 pods thinly sliced
Soy Sauce 2 tbsp
Corn 4 tsp

Oil and Salt to taste



Method of Preparation

1. Drain water out of the tofu. Place it in a paper towel and keep it like that for 15 minutes to drain off any excess water. If tofu does not come in a water pack you can skip this step. Cut the tofu into small pieces.

2. Chop the asparagus. I learned this trick a long time ago from Racheal Ray (a cook show in food network). Hold it at both ends. Bend it a little. It will snap at 2/3 rd from the tip. Discard the bottom. Place the bundle on a cutting board with the tips aligned. Place the one that you snapped as well along with it. Cut off the rest of the bottoms based on the snapped one. Discard the bottom (or use it to make stock). Chop it into around 2 inch pieces. (3-4 pieces as per the size of asparagus)

3. Prepare the broccoli as well. Pluck big chunks out of the head. You can cut into 2/3 if needed. I like big pieces.

4. Heat a little oil in a pan. Add the tofu and fry till all the sides are nicely roasted stirring and turning in between. Keep aside.

5. In the meanwhile, heat a pot of water. When it comes to boil, add the broccoli to it. After a minute or 2 remove from water and add to a bowl of cold water. This stops further cooking.

6. Add the asparagus as well to the same pot and remove after a minute or so. Add to the cold water.

7. In a small cup, add the corn flour and add water (about 1/4 cup). Mix well. Also add the soy sauce to this.

Now all the prep is done. Do not do the last step till you are ready to serve. It will take only a few minutes to put everything together.

8. Heat the pan used earlier to a high heat. Add a little more oil if needed. Add the ginger and garlic slices. Saute till it starts to brown a little.

9. Add the broccoli and asparagus and give it a stir. Add the tofu as well.

10. Add the corn flour and soy mix along with a little salt. Remember soy sauce adds salt to the dish. So hold the salt. Mix well without breaking the tofu. Add a little bit more water if needed.

11. Cook for a couple of minutes.

Serve on a bed of rice



Check out the other AGC thoughout this week 
AnushaJayanthiKavithaPriya MRadhikaVeenaPriya S

Linking this to Show me your hits - event by Sangee, hosted by Kaveri

11 comments:

  1. Looks Good Roshni...I also find it very difficult to cook egg, though I eat eggs but none including my husband eat at my in laws place. Should get some book like this.
    Thanks for linking Roshni

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely preparation....Sounds healthy, delicious and perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have just once cooked tofu and no one at home liked it despite me preaching about its health benefits but that was long since. I have to try again. Tofu with broccoli looks very appetizing..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks green and gorgeous Roshni - I make this often and know how quickly it gets devoured :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thats a very healthy n yummy preparation

    ReplyDelete
  6. all i can say is the pictures are absolutely mouth watering worth the wait

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love stir fry's, they come in real handy. Yours looks wonderful

    Blog - http://shwetainthekitchen.blogspot.com/
    Facebook Page - https://www.facebook.com/ShwetaintheKitchen

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely combo of tofu and vegetables. I love stir fry and you've made it so healthy. Nice...Jayanthi(www.sizzlingveggies.com)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very lovely recipe! I really want to try this dish, because I love eating tofu and vegetables. And I think the recipe is really delicious. Anyway, thank you for sharing your great post.

    Stir Fry Vegetables

    ReplyDelete