Friday 28 September 2012

Carrot Rice

When I was a kid one of my favourites to eat was carrot curry and rice. I used to just mix the mizhukkuvaratti and rice and enjoy a meal out of it. My mom had no complaints as it was healthy food..

As we grow up, we kind of forget these simple pleasures. I have tried to recreate my childhood favourite by making a super comforting rice. It is very simple in its taste, but yet quite flavourful. I keep the carrots kind of raw.. just a few minutes of cooking.. Makes it all the more healthy. Perfect for lunch boxes



Ingredients

Grated Carrots 3 cups
Basmati Rice 2 cups
Onion 1 big sliced
Bay leaf 1
Saunf 1 tsp
Cumin 2 tsp
Garam Masala 1.5 tsp
Coriander Powder 1 tsp
Hing a little
Chilli Powder 1 tsp
lime juice 2 tbsp
Butter 1 tbsp
Oil and salt as needed

Method of Preparation

1. Cook rice with enough water according to your rice. I usually add a little salt and butter along with the water. This keeps the rice grains separate. You can also lightly fry the rice in butter instead.

2. Heat oil in a pan. Add bay leaf, saunf, cumin to it. When it sizzles, add onions.

3. When the onions start to brown, add grated carrots. My grater has 2-3 size options. I used a big size grating... otherwise it will become mushy. Also add garam masala, coriander powder, hing, chilli powder and some more salt if needed.

4. After a few minutes, add the cooked rice and mix well.

8 comments:

  1. Carrot rice looks very delicious...
    Regards
    Amy-Food Corner
    http://foodssrilanka.blogspot.sg/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carrot rice is one of mine and daughter's favorite...but my version is slightly different...Love your version Roshni

    ReplyDelete
  3. Too good, yum

    Blog - http://shwetainthekitchen.blogspot.com/
    Facebook Page - https://www.facebook.com/ShwetaintheKitchen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Perfect orange colored rice... :)
    http://recipe-excavator.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are right, simple recipes are my go to ones too when craving hits. Carrot rice looks delicious

    ReplyDelete