Monday 19 November 2012

Barley Pradaman

When I told my husband I am making Barley Pradaman, his first remark was - ungal imaginationukku ellaye illaya? (meaning is there no limit to your imagination). I am glad I am like that. As I told you before, pradaman is basically payasam (kheer) made with jaggery and coconut milk. It is made with a variety of ingredients and I really loved this version with barley.

AGC Week 2 this month is Sweets. This is my entry to the event.



Ingredients

Pearl Barley 1/2 cup
Jaggery 1 cup
Coconut milk 2 cups
Cardamom 1/4 tsp

Method of Preparation

1. Soak barley overnight. Pressure cook with 1.5 cups of water for 3 whistles.

2. In a pan add the jaggery along with 1/4 cup water (i just added the water from the cooked barley). Let it melt.

3. Add the barley and simmer for a few minutes.

4. Add coconut milk and cardamom. Mix well and cook in low flame for 5 minutes.

You can serve this immediately warm. I liked it best the next day after I kept it in the fridge. It had an awesome creamy texture and the barley had absorbed some of the sweetness as well.



This is off to my event Cooking with Seeds - Barley, event by Priya





Check out the other AGC thoughout this week 
AnushaJayanthiKavithaPriya MRadhikaVeenaPriya S

8 comments:

  1. ha ha sometimes i too get this dialogue from my hubby.. well prepared..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yours is more irresistible than mine Roshni,my H usual dialogue is also the same too..

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also have this one on my space..had tried it long back...it was a hit at home...yours looks very creamy and yum

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow looks so delicious and I luv your first pic.

    ReplyDelete