Monday 12 November 2012

Vengaya Rasam - Onion Rasam

When I first saw the recipe for Onion Rasam here, I knew I had to try it. Am gald I did. Did not make many changes from the original recipe.

While making the rasam an interesting thought crossed my mind. What technically differentiates a rasam and a sambar? Many times ppl just use sambar powder for rasam as well and yet it tastes like rasam, so it is not the powder. Then the veggies - but lately I have seen ppl make rasam with a lot of veggies as well. The dal - rasam uses dal water and sambar a lot of dal. Onions - well this rasam has onions. But still none of these seem to satisfy me. It just amazes me that a rasam and sambar though quite similar in origins, taste so unique.



Ingredients

Small Onions 15-20
Coriander leaves a little
Curry Leaves few
Garlic 3
Cumin/Jeera 1 tsp

Mustard 1/2 tsp
Rasam Powder 2 tsp
Turmeric 1/2 tsp
Tomato 1

Tamarind paste 1 tsp
Water 3 cups

Gingelliy Oil and salt to taste

Method of Preparation

1. Make a coarse paste of small onions, coriander leaves, curry leavs, garlic and jeera.

2. Heat oil in a pot and add mustard seeds.

3. When it sputters, add the paste and saute for  5-10 minutes till the onions are cooked and the raw smell is gone.

4. Add tomato (finely chopped) and rasam powder, turmeric and cook for a few more minutes.

5. Add  tamarind paste and 3 cups of water. Also add the salt.

6. Bring it to a boil and switch off when it starts to foam.

Serve with rice.

8 comments:

  1. Thanks for trying my recipe Roshini and linking it back too :) Am sure you must have enjoyed it :) Thanks again!!!
    Rasagullas - A Bengali Sweet

    ReplyDelete
  2. loved this version of onion rasam, will try it sometime...
    Wishing U a very Happy Diwali!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It makes my mouth water. Great with chudu choru eh?

    ReplyDelete
  4. A very happy Diwali to you and your family!!!
    Here is how I differentiate rasam and sambar.
    A rasam should be liquid. We should be able to pour the rasam in a glass and drink it.
    And as my mom says in a rasam you should not be able to identify the ingredients easily. It should be blended well. Like we mash dals/tomatoes. Here you have grinded onions. We don't do this for sambar :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. loved it..
    http://www.indiantastyfoodrecipes.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Though I have heard a lot about onion rasam I have never tried it...sounds interesting..should try sometime

    ReplyDelete