Sunday 18 November 2012

Lemon Rice

Kalantha sadam or Variety rice is a staple in most tamil homes. It is quite easy to put together. Usually it is prepared for picnics or train journeys. These days kids lunch boxes are being filled with these variety rice. The primary ones are lemon rice, coconut rice, puli sadam (made with puliyodarai) and curd rice. There are a lot of variations and varieties as well.

When I was posting this rice, my husband was laughing at me saying 'who posts such simple stuff in the blog'. The comment was mainly for curd rice. But he extended it to this as well. So I just went online and showed him that there are posts for this.

I took up the challenge that I will make it a point to click good photos for this so that it is a food photography exercise for me. I am really happy with the clicks that I got for it. Hope you enjoy the rice that I prepared.



Ingredients

Rice 2 cups
Gingelly oil 3 tbsp
Mustard 1/2 tsp
Channa Dal 1 tbsp
Peanut 1/2 cup
Curry leaves 2-3 sprigs
Red Chilli 1
Green Chilli 1 (more for spicier version)
Ginger a small bit
Turmeric 1.5 tsp
Hing 1/4 tsp
Lemon Juice few tbsp (as per your taste)
Salt to taste




Method of Preparation

1. Pressure cook the rice with 4 cups of water. (use your standard quantity). The trick to get good separate grains of rice is to use a little salt along with the water. Another thing that I do is to transfer into a wide bowl and let it cool a little before you go in with a spatula.

2. In a small pan heat some gingelly oil. Any oil works. But gingelly oil adds an awesome taste for this rice.

3. Add some mustard. When it sputters, add channa dal and peanuts.

4. When it starts to brown, add finely chopped green chilli, ginger and curry leaves. Also add the red chilli, turmeric and hing.

5. When it sizzles, switch off and add this to the rice bowl.

6. Add some more salt as required. Add the lemon juice. Mix everything gently.

Serve with a potato saute or with some appalams or vadams.

7 comments:

  1. Who will resist to this rice, definitely not me..Just love with some crispy potato fries.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great tasting rice. loved the refreshing and tangy flavor

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too sometimes think a hundred times before posting very simple recipes...but trust me there are people who don't know to prepare these simple ones too...Nice clicks Roshni

    ReplyDelete