Tuesday 20 November 2012

Curd Rice - Yogurt Rice - Thayir Sadam

Curd rice or thayir sadam has to be the favourite dish of a Tamil Brahmin. No meal is complete without this. It is called bagala bath as well (its kannada name, not to be confused with bisi bela bath which is like sambar rice)

It is best when accompanied by pickle or mor molaga (which is chillies dipped in yogurt, dried and then fried).

Other variations are to add grated carrots, cucumbers, coriander leaves. Some also add fruits like grapes, pomegranate etc. You can ofcourse make super simple curd rice by just mixing rice and curd.

You must have read my post of Lemon Rice a few days ago and how my husband was pulling my leg... This one I am posting cause a friend did mail me and ask me how I made my curd rice. Those who are reading this - please please post your simplest recipes as well. If I am not from your region in India, it is likely that I will not know that recipe and would like to see it in your blog and then try it.



Ingredients

Rice 1 cup
Mustard 1/2 tsp
Channa Dal 1 tsp
Curry leaves 2 sprigs
Green Chilli 2
Ginger a small piece
Hing 1/8 tsp
Yogurt/Curd 3/4 cup (1 cup if eating later)
Milk 3/4 cup (1 cup if eating later)
Salt
Gingelly oil/Sesame Oil (or any oil) 2 tbsp



Method of Preparation

1. Cook rice first. Though you can cook normal method, you might find that it tastes better if you have cooked it to a little mushy consistency. I usually cook rice with 1:2 water. So for curd rice I use 1:3 ratio.

2. Mash it a little while it is still hot. Let it cool a little.

3. Add curd/yogurt and milk. Mix well. The amount of milk and yogurt you add depends on some factors. If you are eating immediately, you will find that about 3/4 cup will make a loose rice. But if you are going to eat later, I would recommend a cup or even a little more. Also, if your curd is sour, you can add more milk and a little less curd. When packing for train journeys, my mom used to add just a little (1/2 cup or less) of curd and the rest milk. As we will be eating only next day, the rice will be correct taste. Otherwise you will end up with sour rice. But ofcourse that is assuming Indian hot weather. :-)

4. Now comes the tempering. Heat gingelly oil in a small pan. Any oil will work, but gingelly tastes better.

5. Add mustard. When it sputters, add channa dal. It is not a standard ingredient. But I find it tasty.

6. When it starts to brown, add chopped green chillies, ginger and curry leaves along with some hing (kayam).

7. When it sizzles, transfer to the rice. Add some salt as well. Mix everything together and serve with some pickles. As there are chillies and stuff going in the rice, you can eat it just like that as well.

Enjoy!

10 comments:

  1. Lately I have started eating Curd Rice and I am thoroughly enjoying having this as Comfort Food.. Love this South Indian dish

    ReplyDelete
  2. Curd rice will always rock....
    http://recipe-excavator.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Curd rice is my daughter's favorite..she can live on only curd rice for days together...very nicely made Roshni

    ReplyDelete
  4. delicious with mango pickle :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. yummy!!! Who can forget the thair sadam - mavudu combination... mouth watering!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nicely made curd rice Roshni, I love it. I do the same milk+curds when making ahead large quantities for the party so that by the time everyone gets to eat it, it will be not too sour.

    ReplyDelete