Sunday 25 November 2012

Chana Jaisalmer Ke

Kala Channa features regularly in our house. I make it especially as a side for Puttu. And ofcourse perfect side for Rotis. Did I tell you it is my favourite sundal as well.

This time I wanted to try something different and that search ended when I saw a recipe by Sanjeev Kapoor. We loved this recipe. The only disappointment I had was that similarity of this with Kadhi. So instead of the fancy name, I could have named it Kala Channa Kadhi. But it had to have this fancy name to justify its origins. It is a dish from Jaisalmer in Rajastan.



Ingredients

Kala Channa (dry) 1 cup
Yogurt 2 cups
Besan 4 tsp

Coriander powder 2 tsp
Cumin powder 1 tsp
Garam Masala 2 tsp
Turmeric 1/2 tsp

Green Chilli 1
Curry leaves few
Cumin 1 tsp

Oil and salt to taste

Method of Preparation

1. Soak Kala Channa overnight and pressure cook with enough water till it is well cooked. Drain and save the cooking water.

2. In a bowl, mix yogurt with besan, coriander powder, cumin powder, garam masala, turmeric and salt.

3. Heat oil in a pan. Add the jeera, green chilli and curry leaves.

4. When it sizzles, lower the flame and add the yogurt mix and stir.

5. Add the cooked channa and the water it cooked in as needed.

6. Simmer till the raw smell of besan is gone (5-10 minutes).

Serve with hot rice.

8 comments:

  1. Sounds like a nice recipe..should try it

    ReplyDelete
  2. Right around the time I'm looking for healthy recipes! :) Never really thought of curd and kala channa.. but I ought to try this! :) Add more pics for our eyes! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. looks like a delicious curry...Want to try it soon...

    Event :Cook like a Celebrity Chef

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds exactly like kadhi with channa, very delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. New recipe for me, I love kala chana, will try this sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  6. New one to me... Will try soon. Looks so delicious

    ReplyDelete
  7. delectable n delicious :) tempting too..

    ReplyDelete