Tuesday 8 November 2011

Easy Vendakka Fry

The Advantages of the blog are already starting to show in my household. I usually cook food the previous night and use it for lunch and dinner. Sunday nights are the worst in our house. I usually make a good breakfast on Saturday and Sunday morning (Read every other day is oats or cereal). Then after cooking lunch and sometimes a quick dinner, I have hardly any energy or interest for making next day's lunch.

This week though I had to do it cause my husband was travelling on Monday night for 4 days. So I wanted to make his lunch. I picked Vendakka fry as I had some in my fridge and it is one of 'my' favorite curries.

My husband, a Tamilian who has not travelled north of Hyderabad, is a North Indian when it comes to his preference of Rice and Chappati. He loves Chappati much more than rice. Anyways, coming to the point. I decided to make Chappati for him because I was very excited about my blog :-)

This is a very simple dish. Tastes heavenly.

Ingredients

1 Big Onion - thinly sliced
1 Tomato - finely chopped
Vendakka (Okra) around 250gm - cut in small circles
2 Green Chillies - slit
Coriander leaves

Musturd 1tsp
Jeera 1 tsp

Chilli Powder 1 tsp
Turmeric 1/2 tsp
Hing - little

Oil and salt to taste

Method of Preparation

1. Heat oil in a Pan and add the musturd. When it sputters, add Jeera. When it sizzles, add the Turmeric Powder and Hing.

2. After a few seconds, add the cut onion and sauté till slightly browned

3. Add the green chillies and the tomatoes and sauté till it is cooked well and oil starts to ooze out.

4. Add the cut okra, chilli powder and salt. Mix well and cook till the okra is done stirring in between. Do not add any water as it spoils the taste of the dish.

5. Finish with some coriander leaves.


6. Serve with hot Chappatis. This is a photo of me making Chappati taken sometime ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment