Wednesday 16 November 2011

Ada Kozhakattai

Ada Kozhakattai is a recipe that I learnt from my Mother-in-law. This is a variation of ada dosai (recipe for that will appear soon). The ratio of rice and dal is different in this one. Though I want to say I have made it exactly following her recipe, I have a feeling I would have made some changes to it. I will know when she reads this blog and gives me feedback.


Ingredients

Rice (Boiled Rice used for making Idli/Dosa) 2 cups
Whole peeled Urad dal 1/3 cup
Channa dal 1/3 cup
Toor dal 1/3 cup

Coconut 1/2 cup
Red chillies 6 and couple extra for tempering (depending on your taste and the spiciness of the chilli)
Green chillies 2
curry leaves few
hing

Oil and Salt to taste

Method of Preparation

1. Soak the rice and the dals together for about 3 hours.


2. Drain and Grind into a course paste along with green chillies, red chillies and curry leaves adding little water


3. Mix with coconut, hing and salt

4. Heat some oil in a pot and add a couple of broken red chillies for tempering.

5. Add the ground paste and stir in low flame till it hardens a little and the wateryness is gone.


6. Roll it into Kozhakatai shapes and place in Idli thattu (plates). It is better to roll when hot. What I do for that is to keep a bowl of cold water and dip my hands in it before rolling each. You will not feel the heat this way.


7. Steam it for 10 minutes. Ada Kozhakatai is ready to be served. I like it with idli molaga podi and nallaennai (sesame/gingily oil).


Linking this to MLLA Event this month hosted by Simona of briciole

2 comments:

  1. I would very much like to taste your dish: I enjoyed looking at the photos and following you in the preparation. Thank you so much for contributing to MLLA.

    ReplyDelete
  2. very unique and interesting recipe. Will try this out soon.

    ReplyDelete