Tuesday 22 November 2011

Carrot Idli

This is the first time I am trying stuffing in my idli. I had prepared some batter and used it for making dosa. So I did not have enough batter left for making idli for the 3 of us.

I have seen many recipes for vegetable idli. I decided to try it with just carrots. This way, I will need a little less batter. And also, my vegetable loving husband and son will not crib that there is no vegetable in the meal.


Ingredients

Idli maavu (batter) 16 laddles
Onion 1 small cut into small pieces
Carrots 3 small grated

Mustard 1tsp
Jeera 1 tsp
Channa dal 1 tsp
Curry leaves few

Dosa/Idli Podi 3tbsp (you can use a tsp of chilli powder or pepper powder instead)

Oil and Salt to taste

Method of Preparation

1. Heat oil in a Pan and add the mustard. When it sputters, add Channa dal.

2. When it starts to brown, add the jeera and curry leaf. sauté for a few seconds.

3. Add onions and saute till it is slightly browned

4. Add the grated carrots and saute for a couple of minutes.

5. Add dosa podi and salt. The stuffing is ready!


6. Grease the idli plate and add some of the stuffing to the plate. (I tried by adding batter first, then stuffing and the fill with batter. But that was 3 steps and it was difficult to limit batter to 2 steps).


7. Then I filled with batter. This way it was a 2 step process :-)


8. Steam for 10 min and serve

2 comments:

  1. Love these colorful idlis. Nice option to feed veggies to the kids.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Radhika. Looking forward to joining your event. Keep me posted.

    ReplyDelete