Monday 28 November 2011

Beans Paruppusli

I ended up making Beans Paruppusli last weekend by accident. I was making Paruppurunda Kozhambu and had 3 pulse balls that I did not add to the Kozhambu. Since paruppusli follows the exact same steps as that of Kozhambu, I made it in a jiffy.

Some people grind the dal and then sauté it directly till it gets cooked and in the crumbled consistency. There are 2 issues with that. First is it takes a long long time for the dal to get cooked and it sticks to the bottom of the pan. And second issue is you need a lot of oil for that. This is a healthier version.

From the kozhambu recipe I am posting the below. You will need about 5 balls to make for 2-3 ppl.


Ingredients

Beans - finely chopped
Oil and salt to taste

For the pulse ball
Toor Dal 1 cup (will make around 10 small balls)
Red Chillies 2
Mustard 1/2 tsp
Salt

Method of Preparation

1. Soak the toor dal for a couple of hours.

2. Grind into a coarse paste with chillies and salt adding little water.


3. Heat oil in a small pan and add a mustard for tempering.

4. Add the ground paste and stir in low flame till it hardens a little and the wateryness is gone.

5. Roll into small balls. 1 cup will make around 10 balls.

6. Steam the balls in an idli plate for 6 minutes.


7. Crumble the pulse balls and keep aside.


8. Heat oil in a pan and add the beans. Cook till it is well done.

9. Add the crumbled pulse balls and salt and cook for a few more minutes. Paruppusali is ready to serve.


The same recipe can be used to prepare using kothavaranga(cheeni avarakka, cluster beans) or capsicum as well.

4 comments:

  1. Super delicious paruppu usili, inviting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice clicks, esp of the steamed parippu urundai. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Rajani. I tried this with an SLR in day time. With the sunset at 4, I hardly get chance to take any photos in day light. Followed your tip

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rosh - Made paruppusili for the first time.. I had eaten this dish at friend's house as part of "pandigai chappadu" - Looks like its cooked for special occasions(pandigai). Just finished making it, hubby tasted it as said it was good. He was glad I had not loaded it with coconut( as is the case in poriyal). I do have some questions on how long I should saute the dal. I will send ya a separate note.
    Thanks again. I also made ven pongal and tomato gothsu. So its all your recipes today.

    ReplyDelete